Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices are assigned strange IP addresses and fail to connect to wifi

sportruby
Aspirant

Re: Devices are assigned strange IP addresses and fail to connect to wifi

I have many Sonos speakers around my home.  In one room, I have a 5.1 surround system setup utilizing the Playbar as the center and front speakers, and a ConnectAmp powering the rears, plus a Sonos Sub.  In order to operate in this configuration, that "Room" needs be configured in Boost mode.  Here's the link on that setup: 

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2237?language=en_US

Note #1 in the Setup instructions:  

1. Wire both the Sonos home theater speaker and Connect:Amp to either your router, a single network switch, or to each other, using an Ethernet cable.
Message 26 of 32
ekhalil
Master

@sportruby wrote:

I have many Sonos speakers around my home.  In one room, I have a 5.1 surround system setup utilizing the Playbar as the center and front speakers, and a ConnectAmp powering the rears, plus a Sonos Sub.  In order to operate in this configuration, that "Room" needs be configured in Boost mode.  Here's the link on that setup: 

1. Wire both the Sonos home theater speaker and Connect:Amp to either your router, a single network switch, or to each other, using an Ethernet cable.

This is exactly the setup I had which cused all my Orbi issues. Please try first disconnecting all Sonos to confirm the theory. After that you can try having only one speaker wired which is the minimum to have a Sonesnet connectivity.

Message 27 of 32
st_shaw
Master

@sportruby wrote:

Thanks.  I also have many speakers, including a Playbar, a Sub and a 5.1 surround setup. I'm not using a Connect:Amp though.

Only one Sonos device is wired--the Playbar.

For my surround setup, I'm using a pair of Play3s.  The Playbar and the Play3s have a dedicated 5 GHz radio for wireless surround sound. This radio does interfere a little with Orbi's backhaul, reducing throughput, but not enough to matter.

The Connect:Amp is older and I believe it doesn't have the 5 GHz radio. Thus the instructions to wire the Connect:Amp. Wiring is required because Sonos supports only 2.4 GHz WiFi, and 2.4 GHz WiFI has too much latency to support surround mode.

If you go WiFi only, then you won't be able to have surround sound.

To get this to work properly with Orbi, I expect you will need to manually disable the WiFi radio in the Connect:Amp. That will remove the network loop. See this link or Google it.

https://bsteiner.info/articles/disabling-sonos-wifi

P.S. Note that you can't only have one room in boost mode.  Either your entire system is in boost mode, or your entire system is using WIFi.  As soon as you wire any one of your Sonos devices, the entire system switches to boost mode and no longer uses your WiFi.

Message 28 of 32
ekhalil
Master

Namnlöst.png

Almost a month uptime without the need to restart my system. I'm now happy with the performance of Orbi. Great coverage, stable wifi and good usuable features.

There are still minor issues that I'm sure Netgear will tackle in the coming releases.

Message 29 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using now? 

Message 30 of 32
ekhalil
Master

Message 31 of 32
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks. Nice to know others have having good experiences on v210. 

Message 32 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7