Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices can't connect to stonger signal; basic questions about set up

tdcarp
Aspirant

Devices can't connect to stonger signal; basic questions about set up

(don't have the model # with me right now.  will add to the post when I get home)

Installed an ORBI about a year ago.  The router and satellite each appear to broadcast an ID ("ORB106" for the satellite).

A couple devices haven't been able to connect to the router (due to signal strength), but do detect strong signal from the satellite.  Attempted to connect using the same password as is needed to connect to the router, but that doesn't seem to work.

Did I miss a step during setup where the password for the satellite created?  Or is the satellite supposed to use the same pswd as the router?  In the router/satellite environment, do you need to treat it like two different networks available to devices?

Thanks

Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Need Orbi model you have? 

What devices do you have connected? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

hat is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try Auto and 48 on 5Ghz. Or try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 5
tdcarp
Aspirant

Thanks for responding.  Before answering some of your questions, I now know the device is an RBR50 v2.  It appear the device installs, including the router/satellite sync were successful.  Looking at the available networks, the network appears to be broadcasting ORB106 and Timeless, the ssid of the network when we just had a router.  Although I have some more testing to do, one of the laptops successfully connected via ORB106 (the satellite) and was able to access the internet.  Since the network is secured, apparently that laptop presented the pswd we've used with our local wifi for years.  One thing I did notice was that the ssid sent from the router is now called "Timeless 9" and is a public network.

-Have to check on the firmware version.

-The devices are 3 Windows laptops, all seem to connect OK.  There's also a tablet, 2 iPhones, and a irrigation controller that generates a hotspot.  At least one of the iPhones, and the irrigation controller have yet to successfully connect to the wifi.

-The home is a 2400 sq ft tri-level.  The router is in one corner on the 3rd level, and the satellite is on the main level at the opposite end of the building.  As expected, the signal strength from the router and satellite are different depending on where the accessing device is located.  The separation between the router and the satellite is about 40 feet.

-Have to get back to you on channels.  Using whatever the defaults were.

-There are quite a number of other neighbor wifi ssids.  All are private.

Message 3 of 5
Mikey94025
Hero

@tdcarp wrote:

One thing I did notice was that the ssid sent from the router is now called "Timeless 9" and is a public network.

I believe you are describing what you see in Windows under Network & Internet.  Windows notices that this WiFi SSID is being broadcast from a different router, so calls it something different and defaults it as a Public network.  It does not mean that the SSID being broadcast by your Orbi is any different, just that it is a different Windows connection than what was used previously.

Also, Public vs. Private is just a classification that Windows uses to assign different policies for local use - It does not mean that your Orbi network is public to outsiders or insecure.  Your WPA2 security settings make it secure.

Message 4 of 5
tdcarp
Aspirant

Thank you very much.  Very helpful and interesting.

So, the router and satellite each transmit a different SSID, therefore devices should be configured to automatically connect to either.  I hope the OS (Windows, Android, IOS) will then pick the stronger signal.

It appears the setup was fine since the two laptops are able to connect.  Its a tablet and couple smart phones that seem to be having issues getting to the internet via the LAN.

Sounds like, if any device is having issues connecting to the LAN, it's likely an issue with the device's connection.  Correct?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7