Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices cannot connect to 5GHz channel on orbi rbk50

salma733
Aspirant

Devices cannot connect to 5GHz channel on orbi rbk50

Hi Community,

I have problem with my home network on netgear orbi rbk50.

so i have samsung galaxy s10, galaxy note 9, google pixel 3 which i believe they were all 5Ghz capable, as they were pretty high end device in current time, but unfortunately it cant connect to netgear orbi 5ghz channel, only to 2.4ghz connection. i have the latest firmware on my orbi system, and have reset the router and the satellite with a paper clip push.

found it confusing because with my previous wireless network system, i could connect easily my devices to their 5ghz channels, for faster network connection ofcourse, because i can easily reach 400mbps data rate with them. but have no luck with orbi system as i only connected to its 2.4ghz channel which limit my speed data rate to only 144mbps max.

please help?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Devices cannot connect to 5GHz channel on orbi rbk50

Yes, these devices should be capable of connecting to the Orbi at 5G.  Please describe some things.

• How far apart are the RBR50 (router) and RBS50 (satellite)?
  • Where are these Android devices placed in relation to the Orbi's?

Thanks

Message 2 of 6
salma733
Aspirant

the answer for the questions is:

1. the distance between rbk50 router and its satellite around 26ft (8m) and between them is one concrete wall, fyi, it says on my web settings for netgear orby, the satellite connection status is "good"

2. my family uses those devices inside the house also the router and the satellite, never further than 10 meter away from the router or the satellites. my house indeed built with concrete walls, not wood nor particle board, but we have spacy and wide room with no obstacle between the mesh system and the devices, thankyou

Message 3 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

What happens if one of the devices is turned off, put in the same room as either the router or satellite, and turned back on?

Does it connect at 5G in this condition?

(concrete has a much greater impact on 5G signals than on 2.4G signals)

Message 4 of 6
salma733
Aspirant

did as suggested, but with no luck.

additionally, i also have 3 PC, all with 5ghz wireless card capable, and all of the three were able to connect automatically to orbi 5ghz channel, with the two of it separated with a concrete wall to the router, but keep maintaining a solid 5ghz connection... funny

Message 5 of 6
ekhalil
Master

I would try the following:

1. Change the current 5 GHz channel to another channel and see if you will see improvements.
  2. Reduce the power of the 2.4 GHz link, and see if things get any better.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7