Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices connected to VoiP router instead of Orbi

stliu
Aspirant

Devices connected to VoiP router instead of Orbi

I recently purchased the Orbi RBR50 with the latest firmware version.  My router is connected to an Arris 400 series modem.  Connected to the Orbi network are around 10 devices all wireless.  I also have a Linksys Phone adapter with router that I use for VoiP calls that is connected to the Orbi router using ethernet.

The problem is because there's a router in the Linksys phone adapter, certain devices are instead connecting to the Linksys router instead of the Orbi router.  We can see this when we look at the list of devices, the devices with addresses under 192.168.1.1 all have internet, but the ones under 192.168.8.1 (the Linksys phone adapter) all do not.

How do I disable the router in the Linksys device or force my devices to connect only to the Orbi router?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

Re: Devices connected to VoiP router instead of Orbi

@stliu wrote:

The problem is because there's a router in the Linksys phone adapter, certain devices are instead connecting to the Linksys router instead of the Orbi router.  We can see this when we look at the list of devices, the devices with addresses under 192.168.1.1 all have internet, but the ones under 192.168.8.1 (the Linksys phone adapter) all do not.

How do I disable the router in the Linksys device or force my devices to connect only to the Orbi router?

How are these other devices connecting to your Linksys router?  If by wire, they should only be connected to the new Orbi.  Only your phone line should be connected to the Linksys device.  I don't think it's possible or adviseable to leave your wired devices connected to your old Linksys device and hope they stay connected to the Internet and your other home devices.

Message 2 of 7
stliu
Aspirant

All my devices are wireless, they connect through wifi.

The only wires are phone jack -> phone wire -> Linksys phone adapter -> ethernet -> Orbi -> ethernet -> modem

However, for some devices even though they are connected to the Orbi wifi, they are actually connected to the Linksys router.  The Linksys phone adapter has an IP address of 192.168.8.1, which is what the devices are showing in the Orbi app

Message 3 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@stliu wrote:

All my devices are wireless, they connect through wifi.

The only wires are phone jack -> phone wire -> Linksys phone adapter -> ethernet -> Orbi -> ethernet -> modem

However, for some devices even though they are connected to the Orbi wifi, they are actually connected to the Linksys router.  The Linksys phone adapter has an IP address of 192.168.8.1, which is what the devices are showing in the Orbi app

OK, then does your Linksys router have a wireless SSID named the same as your Orbi?  If so, turn it off or change its SSID to something else so your wireless devices stop connecting to it.  We want to stop using your Linksys router (and DHCP/IP assignment) capability as that's now performed by your Orbi.

Message 4 of 7
stliu
Aspirant

I do not believe so, there's no Linksys related wifi connection I can connect to.  I think because the Linksys router is connected to Orbi through a wire, the devices get confused as to which router they need to connect to

Message 5 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Remove the Linksys router from the configuraton. 

Message 6 of 7
Mikey94025
Hero

@stliu wrote:

I think because the Linksys router is connected to Orbi through a wire, the devices get confused as to which router they need to connect to

If you must keep the Linksys device connected so you get VOIP phone service, figure out how to disable the DHCP functionality of the Linksys.  Your Orbi should be the only one doing routing and giving out IP addresses.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7