Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices connected to router instead of satellite

Algusto
Follower

Devices connected to router instead of satellite

My router is on the 2nd floor and satellite on ground floor. Some devices (3 out of 7) on ground floor show that they have rather weak connection and from the information on orbilogin.com they show to be actually connected to the router, although the satellite would be just 5-6feet / 2m away with no wall inbetween. Tried to place the satellite a bit more distant, but that only changed for one of the 3 device. The satellite usually shows a blue ring, sometimes orange. Is there any way how I could control that a device will connect to the satellite instead ?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
m0ebius
Initiate

Re: Devices connected to router instead of satellite

I have same issue since updating to 2.0.0.74 firmware.

My service was ideal from anywhere on my property and I was quite happy on the previous firmware (setup with wifi Sweetspot app). But since the last update, 2 satelites have been ignoring my devices and I find those devices connected to the main router which offers a fraction of the service due to the increased range and walls/floors to overcome. Restarting the garage satellite every time I'm in there seems to work, but the master bedroom Satellite does not respond to a reboot. It was my original Satellite and worked flawless before the addition of the 2 extra satellites. Now it still connects with a blue glow and shows active on the router GUI, it can be directly logged onto with its satellite GUI, but two things occur, it connects a device and theres no network or its extremely slow (which was its initial issue) or all the devices connect directly to the router which now occurs most often.

The remaining satellite up stairs and the router have seemed to be reliable.

I have 3 x RBS50 satellites in star topology in my 3 floor townhome (y shape) Router is smack dead center of the building in the center floor and satellites are in both corners of the top floor, individually the signal is typically excellent in each zone but due to walls and such the signal quaility is almost nil on the opposite side of the top floor; hence 2 seperate satellites to cover all the rooms upstairs. The third is on the ground floor backyard corner of the building to optimize the bandwidth in the garage and yard.

Is there a fix for this?

Message 2 of 3
m0ebius
Initiate

Re: Devices connected to router instead of satellite

Did a factory reset and noted a magenta ring blip before turning to a blue ring where it remained until lights out. Thought this was a bulb check since blue was the final indicator. But i experienced the same connection issues.

I decided to move the orbi and confirm, low and behold an amber blip occured before going blue. Connectivity was restored.

Since this was just a power up, i repeated the factory reset and same Amber before Blue indicator was seen. .

So, I had this satellite in the same location for 3 months prior to problems (and I test my service regularly). After the 2.0.0.74 firmware my communication range between the router and satellite seems to have been reduced.. Perhaps antenna power tweak or something? Cant say exactly but I recommend revisit your Satellite placements and see if your problem goes away like mine.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7