Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices connecting to main router when satellite is closer??

Pgandolfo78
Aspirant

Devices connecting to main router when satellite is closer??

I have a new RBR40 system. I am having very good speed and coverage so far very happy. However I’m noticing that several devices show as connected to the main router (at modem in basement) and not the satellite in the same room. Is this normal?
Message 1 of 3
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Devices connecting to main router when satellite is closer??

Unfortunately, yes this is normal. When the router is rebooted, WiFi on it is enabled before WiFi on the satellites. This causes IoT devices to connect their WiFi to the first WiFi seen rather than the strongest WiFi signal. I have IoT devices and IP Cameras that are closer to both of my satellites than they are to the router. When the router reboots, these devices connect to the router rather than re-checking for the stronger signal from the closer satellites. Smart phones, laptops, tablets, etc expect to roam, so they will recheck their WiFi for a stronger access point.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 3
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices connecting to main router when satellite is closer??

how far apart are they? 30 ft is minimum distance. this can impact which device they connect to as well. 

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7