Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices keep being connected to Orbi unit with weaker signal....how to fix?

axel1965
Tutor

Devices keep being connected to Orbi unit with weaker signal....how to fix?

Dear Netgear team,

I have a Orbi base at ground floor and a Satellite on the 1st floor. When going down  from first floor to ground floor I would expect the iPhone to switch automatically to the stronger Orbi at the ground floor....but it does not, it remains connected to the Satellite. At ground floor I get 0,5 MB throughput and 3 or 4 wifi bars on my iPhone...even when going on Airplane mode for a sec and reconnecting it still connects to the "upstairs" satellite. 

How can I force the re-connect to the stronger of the two Orbi's, as another iPhone below, has a throughput of 80mb/80mb with 4 bars. 

Should I lower the strength of the signal, to make it loose the upstairs connection faster? or is there another option you could share?

Axel

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 4
TheEther
Guru

An iPhone will not roam to a stronger signal until the current signal strength drops below -70 dBm.  Even then, it won't switch unless the new signal is stronger by 8 or 12 dB, depending on whether the iPhone is active or inactive.  Apple documents the behavior here.  FWIW, Android has similar behavior.  Most wireless devices favor continuity over speed.

Lowering the power may help, although my understanding is that you cannot lower only the satellite's power.  The power control is global.  An alternative is to move the satellite and base farther apart.

Message 2 of 4
axel1965
Tutor

I will try moving the Satellite to 2nd floor. My fear is little will arrive at top floor from base using on ground floor.
Message 3 of 4
axel1965
Tutor

Have moved Satellite to 2nd floor and set 2.4ghz to 25% strength and kept 5ghz at 100%.
As 5 GHZ should not travel "that far" I hope this will work. Now in bed on first floor I get 7gb up and down and I assime below the 80gb from yesterday. This woild be a good setup for me.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7