Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices losing wifi but wired devices working fine - Orbi

vcdxb
Aspirant

Devices losing wifi but wired devices working fine - Orbi

I bought Orbi RBR50 (including sattelite) almost a year ago and everything has been working fine up until now. all of sudeen few weeks ago the wifi started to drop from devices and wouldnt connect even if i did forget network and re-type the access password. while all devices connected through LAN have been working fine without any interuptions. so my internet connectivity is fine but some issue with the wifi. 

the other thing i' am noticing is that my wifi signal in certain areas of the house drops to 1 or 2 bars even though i' am very close to the main unit. i have a feeling that wifi is not getting transffered between the main unit and the sattelite when i move around the house. 

this is really frustrating me and i have to keep re-setting the router at which point everything connects and works for me. 

my current firmware version is V2.3.5.30. please help. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Devices losing wifi but wired devices working fine - Orbi

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update? 

@vcdxb wrote:

I bought Orbi RBR50 (including sattelite) almost a year ago and everything has been working fine up until now. all of sudeen few weeks ago the wifi started to drop from devices and wouldnt connect even if i did forget network and re-type the access password. while all devices connected through LAN have been working fine without any interuptions. so my internet connectivity is fine but some issue with the wifi. 

the other thing i' am noticing is that my wifi signal in certain areas of the house drops to 1 or 2 bars even though i' am very close to the main unit. i have a feeling that wifi is not getting transffered between the main unit and the sattelite when i move around the house. 

this is really frustrating me and i have to keep re-setting the router at which point everything connects and works for me. 

my current firmware version is V2.3.5.30. please help. 

Message 2 of 4
vcdxb
Aspirant

Hi 

Huawei EchoLife HG8240H

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1650 Sq Ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. - I dont know the exact distance but rougly it was 20ft but thats with 2 thick walls. I just moved the satellite further to make it around 25ft now and will monitor is the wifi drops again. but what is starange for me is that i've been using with the exact setup (20ft) for almost an year and i've had this issue before. it only started few weeks ago. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

2.4 Ghz is Auto and 5Ghz is 36. given that i have relocated the satellite I will wait before I make any changes here to see if the issue persists. Or do you recommend i change the channel anyway?

a couple but very weak signal inside my house. 

No

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

@vcdxb wrote:

Hi 

Huawei EchoLife HG8240H

This ONT has a built in ruoter and wifi. 

This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? 1650 Sq Ft
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. - I dont know the exact distance but rougly it was 20ft but thats with 2 thick walls. I just moved the satellite further to make it around 25ft now and will monitor is the wifi drops again. but what is starange for me is that i've been using with the exact setup (20ft) for almost an year and i've had this issue before. it only started few weeks ago. 

Lets see if this changes anything.

2.4 Ghz is Auto and 5Ghz is 36. given that i have relocated the satellite I will wait before I make any changes here to see if the issue persists. Or do you recommend i change the channel anyway? See if the problem appears again, if it does, change the channel.

a couple but very weak signal inside my house. 

No This maybe needed as a last resort. Some FW Updates need a factory reset to ensure the system is cleared out and setup well from scratch. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7