Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices missing (yet still active on the network)

gradybooch
Aspirant

Devices missing (yet still active on the network)

I've an Orbi RBR850 with two RBS850 satellites. Each are running V3.2.26.22 firmware.

Curiously, all of the devices connected wirelessly to my satellites no longer show up on my Orbi apt, although a) they are demonstrably working - for example, I can control my Nest thermometers via the Nest app even though the Orbi I does not report them online and b) I can ping them each.

I've rebooted the RRB, even did a full reset on one of the satellites, and...no joy!

BTW also, I can successfuly log in to my base Orbi via its web interface, but not to either of the satellites: in each of their cases, I get the login dialog, and neither the default admin/password works nor does trying to login in via my base credentials.

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Devices missing (yet still active on the network)

Alas, one of the most frequent problems with Netgear Orbi is "missing devices", which has  been reported for a long time.  There are some things fundamentally messed up in the way the Orbi system communicates device status among the units and put into various tables.  In my case, Access Control in the Security menu clearly states that an Amazon Echo Dot is "Allowed, but not Connected" when it is clearly working. The only steps that seem to remedy the problem are (a) to do a Factory Reset on the router and reconfigure from zero, or if that doesn't work (b) manually load a previous  firmware version and to the complete setup.

This is such a tedious undertaking that users are left with a delimma: devote perhaps hours of effort and inconvenience in an attempt that may (or may not) succeed, or "live with it."  It is entirely our choice to go looking at "Connected Devices" when we already know they are connected and working.  If we are looking for "interlopers who are stealing our WiFi" then we don't have a very secure password.

@gradybooch wrote:

BTW also, I can successfuly log in to my base Orbi via its web interface, but not to either of the satellites: in each of their cases, I get the login dialog, and neither the default admin/password works nor does trying to login in via my base credentials.

The default credentials ("admin" and "password") should fail to gain access to Orbi satellites once the primary password has been changed. The Orbi router credentials ("admin" plus the new password) work on all of my satellites and also on the telnet interface.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7