Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices not connecting back to 5 GHz band

VdR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Devices not connecting back to 5 GHz band

Just bought a RBK50 (updated to 2.0.0.74, Europe). I have spend two days trying stuff, and I'm not getting the performance I expected. The 5 GHz band really only seems to work while in the room with one of the two ORBI pods in our well build brick and mortar house. So as soon as you are on the move in the house the devices change to the 2.4 GHz band. OK, but they do not change back to the (faster) 5 GHz band even if you sit down next to one of the pods. I have enable BEAM FORMING (to try to stay connected to the 5 GHz band), and FAST ROAMING (to try and switch easier), but to no avail. Did I just invest 400 Euro to replace my 2.4 GHz router/repeater setup to get the exact same performance?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Devices not connecting back to 5 GHz band

Have you tried to adjust the wireless channel at all on the 5ghz network or even lower the power of the 2.4ghz network?

https://kb.netgear.com/25182/Resolving-poor-5GHz-wireless-range-signal-from-my-NETGEAR-router

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
VdR
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Devices not connecting back to 5 GHz band

Thank you for the suggestions. I have not tried to change channels assuming automatic would be best. I have considered to lower 2.4 GHz power, but I need full strength to reach the connected security cameras around the house. So that is not a solution. Of course if the bands could have separate SSIDs ... but that idea has been discarded by Netgear on this forum if I'm not mistaken. My solution has been to work with a system of another brand. 5 GHz coverage as good or better, much less clinging to the 2.4 GHz band, more customization, better integration of modem, router, LAN, WiFi, etc., much, much, better (router) interface. Sorry to say, the Orbi is on its way back. Not that it is a bad system. If you want a brute force, don't bother, quick solution its fine. I need more flexibility.
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7