Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices not connecting to satellites RBS20

DWoodfield
Aspirant

Devices not connecting to satellites RBS20

I have a CBR40 with 2 RBS20 Satellites. I have a 2 ROKUs and 1 Amazon Firestick and 1 Amazon express devices that I am attempting to connect to the Satellites. Even those the devices are right next to the satellites they connect to the router which is the other side of the house in one case and on another floor in another case. Any suggestions?

Model: CBR40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Cable Modem Router
Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices not connecting to satellites RBS20

How far away from each other are the satellites and the router? 

They need 30ft minimum for roaming to work properly.

And if you're daisy chaining (router----sat-----sat), sometimes they'll connect to a satellite further away because its closer to the primary router. The further away/more daisy chains, add latency/lower speeds. so even though its further away, it might actually be faster/lower latency. 

Message 2 of 5
DWoodfield
Aspirant

Thank-You for the information.

One satellite is certainly more than 30 ft away from the router the other is right around 30 ft away.

The satellites are currently daisy chained. I have however in the past seen them configured as hub and spoke.

If there a preferable way for them to be setup?

Each satellite is closer to the router than the other satellite so I was thinking that hub spoke would make more sense but was not sure how to force that configuration 

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

to force it you disable daisy chain from within the menu options

Message 4 of 5
Aufderhar
Aspirant

The first step of setting up your Orbi Satellite (RBS20) router is to ensure you have access to the internet. If you have had a router before, then you have an ISP or Internet Service Provider gateway UPSers. If you do not, then you should contact your desired ISP and get an internet connection installed in your property.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7