Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Devices not working after firmware upgrade

wised0nkey
Tutor

Devices not working after firmware upgrade

Hi All, I have a RBR50, RBS50, and RBS40. I recently upgraded my firmware to V2.3.5.30 and shortly after noticed that certain devices were connecting to the router, but without internet access. Other devices had no issues with internet access. Rebooting the router would lead to different devices working and others not, almost by random.

I tried factory resetting the Orbi multiple times without luck. I tried to manually install older versions of the firmware but crashed the router once prompting another hard reset, and encountered error messages for the satellites. I have an Arris SB8200 modem.

I finally realized that the devices that were not connecting to the internet had ip addresses of 192.168.7.x, and the ones that were connected to the internet had IP addresses of 192.168.1.x.

The box for "Use router as DHCP Server" is checked, with

Starting IP Address: 192.168.1.2

Ending IP address: 192.168.1.254

The IP subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

I would really appreciate the assistance. I'm extremely green to networking, and after scouring the internet and Netgear Orbi threads for the entire day, I'm still clueless and about to tear my hair out.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
plemans
Guru

Re: Devices not working after firmware upgrade

Something is acting as a server. I doubt its t he ring chime pro. Did you try to access it via the 192.168.7.1? 

Another thing you could try would be to turn off all your devices (other than modem and router) and gradually add devices. At some point the device acting as the dhcp service is going to be turned on and start causing havok. thats basically your goal, find whats acting as the dhcp server. 

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 12

All Replies
plemans
Guru

so something on your network is acting in a router function as well if you're getting 2 different ip addresses. 

You've put that you have a arris sb8200, netgear RBR50-rbs50-rbs40.  Are you sure those are the correct model numbers?

If you take one of the devices on the 192.168.7.** address range and try to access its gateway 192.168.7.1, what do you get?

Message 2 of 12
wised0nkey
Tutor

I do have a synology NAS attached to the network, but I triple checked that the "DHCP Server" function is turned off. As far as I know, the satellites can't function as DHCP server. I don't know what else would be functioning as a server...

Yup, these are the model numbers. How come you're asking?

Sorry, I'm totally clueless about networking. What do you mean by "access its gateway 192.168.7.1"?

I can post some screenshots tomorrow when I get back from work.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 12
plemans
Guru

@wised0nkey wrote:

I do have a synology NAS attached to the network, but I triple checked that the "DHCP Server" function is turned off. As far as I know, the satellites can't function as DHCP server. I don't know what else would be functioning as a server...

Yup, these are the model numbers. How come you're asking?

Sorry, I'm totally clueless about networking. What do you mean by "access its gateway 192.168.7.1"?

I can post some screenshots tomorrow when I get back from work.

Thanks!

I don't think you're clueless but I'm just double checking models as something on your network is handing out dhcp addresses. Reason I'm asking you to try to access the 192.168.7.1 gateway is thats usually the default gateway 192.168.*.1 .   If something is handing out addresses in the 192.168.7.** range, its gateway address is probably 192.168.7.1.  If you try to access that, it might log you into whatever device is also on you network. Just make sure to do it from one of the devices thats running that subnet. 

Message 4 of 12
ekhalil
Master

Yes, as @plemans mentioned there must be a device acting as DHCP server in your network. Do you have wifi repeaters/extenders in the network?

What other devices do you have in your network?

Message 5 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@wised0nkey wrote:

I do have a synology NAS attached to the network,

Why?

Message 6 of 12
wised0nkey
Tutor

Besides the Orbi satellites, the only thing I can think of is the Ring Chime Pro, which acts as a wifi extender for our Ring doorbell. Could that be acting as a DHCP server???

Otherwise besides the NAS, it's the usual computers, laptops, iphones, Chromecast, AppleTV, etc. I made sure that the option on the NAS to act as a DHCP server not on though.

Message 7 of 12
plemans
Guru

Something is acting as a server. I doubt its t he ring chime pro. Did you try to access it via the 192.168.7.1? 

Another thing you could try would be to turn off all your devices (other than modem and router) and gradually add devices. At some point the device acting as the dhcp service is going to be turned on and start causing havok. thats basically your goal, find whats acting as the dhcp server. 

Message 8 of 12
wised0nkey
Tutor

You guys were right. I found that my in laws had plugged in a telephone router for a landline they were using. It's been there for a long time, so I'm not sure what happend after the firmware update. Anyway, that was definitely the culprit because after I unplugged it, the IP subnet went away and everything started working again. Thanks again everybody. This is great community.

Message 9 of 12
adam517
Aspirant

I have the RBK53 and it has been rock solid for the last 5 months.   My wife and I obth work form home nad as of 3 days ago we wnet for amazing performance, rock solid wifi, 1Gb up and 1Gb down service with average Wi-Fi on a 4K sq ft house of 700Mb up and 700Mb Down in 70% of our house to the internet just cutting out completely multiple times a day.  We both work from home nad are on skype calls and zoom meetings all day which is why we spent the money to put this system in place.  It has not given us less than 1% downtime in 5 months and now we are connecting to our Verizon hot spot for our meetings because the ORBI is failing.  I know it is Orbi because it disconnected the router and connected our fiber line directly to my desktop and there were no issues.  I also connected my back up router which is an AC Asus router and LAN and WAN were perfect.  I installed Orbi for more coverage over the whole house and I have been overly happy for 5 months.  Now, this new software nd firmware update has made this system the worst performing mesh network i have ever connected to.  I also noticed the app on my phone changed and the login was not the same when going to 192.16.1.1 which is the default network.  Holy COW.........how did netgear screw up the most solid mesh network on the market with a single software update.  Fix it quick or we may all have a class action for the service dissruption you cased the world due to poor change management.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 10 of 12
plemans
Guru

@adam517 wrote:

I have the RBK53 and it has been rock solid for the last 5 months.   My wife and I obth work form home nad as of 3 days ago we wnet for amazing performance, rock solid wifi, 1Gb up and 1Gb down service with average Wi-Fi on a 4K sq ft house of 700Mb up and 700Mb Down in 70% of our house to the internet just cutting out completely multiple times a day.  We both work from home nad are on skype calls and zoom meetings all day which is why we spent the money to put this system in place.  It has not given us less than 1% downtime in 5 months and now we are connecting to our Verizon hot spot for our meetings because the ORBI is failing.  I know it is Orbi because it disconnected the router and connected our fiber line directly to my desktop and there were no issues.  I also connected my back up router which is an AC Asus router and LAN and WAN were perfect.  I installed Orbi for more coverage over the whole house and I have been overly happy for 5 months.  Now, this new software nd firmware update has made this system the worst performing mesh network i have ever connected to.  I also noticed the app on my phone changed and the login was not the same when going to 192.16.1.1 which is the default network.  Holy COW.........how did netgear screw up the most solid mesh network on the market with a single software update.  Fix it quick or we may all have a class action for the service dissruption you cased the world due to poor change management.

Please start your own thread on the orbi forum if you'd like help. 

Message 11 of 12
plemans
Guru

@wised0nkey wrote:

You guys were right. I found that my in laws had plugged in a telephone router for a landline they were using. It's been there for a long time, so I'm not sure what happend after the firmware update. Anyway, that was definitely the culprit because after I unplugged it, the IP subnet went away and everything started working again. Thanks again everybody. This is great community.

Glad to hear you got it working and figured our which device decided to start handing out ip addresses. 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7