Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rif.: Devices offline (no Wifi connection) with no internet

LucasRey
Tutor

Devices offline (no Wifi connection) with no internet

Hello community, I have RBR50 with 2 satellities and all working fine except when internet connection goes down (e.g. reboot firewall/gw/modem or just where there is an issue from provider). 

I have several smart ceilinglight (Yeelight brand) configured on Home Assistant, and without internet connection the Orbi router will drop every wifi connetions. That's bad because I cannot handle lights in my house anymore. 

Lamps can be normally handled also without internet connection since runs in local lan, and I don't know why the Orbi drops wifi connection at all when there is no internet connection. Is this a normal behaviour? Is there any way I can keep the wifi connection even without external access?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8
vajim
Master

Re: Devices offline (no Wifi connection) with no internet

You state initially the cause maybe your provider?

in cases like this if your system has been working fine and then one day not so much, and you made no changes, the first question I ask is tell us about your firmware 

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

You can find other speed diagnosis steps in the community faq: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Community-FAQ-My-Orbi-speeds-are-slow-inconsistent-and-don-...

@LucasRey wrote:

Hello community, I have RBR50 with 2 satellities and all working fine except when internet connection goes down (e.g. reboot firewall/gw/modem or just where there is an issue from provider). 

I have several smart ceilinglight (Yeelight brand) configured on Home Assistant, and without internet connection the Orbi router will drop every wifi connetions. That's bad because I cannot handle lights in my house anymore. 

Lamps can be normally handled also without internet connection since runs in local lan, and I don't know why the Orbi drops wifi connection at all when there is no internet connection. Is this a normal behaviour? Is there any way I can keep the wifi connection even without external access?

Message 3 of 8
vajim
Master

Firmware?

Message 4 of 8
LucasRey
Tutor

Wait, I'm sorry to wasted forum space, my bad. Smiley Frustrated

The RBR50 (firmware V2.7.2.104) and its 2 satellites (same firmware) work perfect and never drop the wifi connections during normal use. Rebooting the modem will result in drop internet but keep local wifi connection (that's ok). I got confused when I reboot pfSense firewall, I thought RBR50 drop local wifi connection but this is not true, simply WIFI Vs LAN goes down due to pfSense unavailability (so no routing).

However, thanks to @FURRYe38 for reporting so many tips to increase RBR stability. I'll apply them asap since some times some ceiling lights goes offline for a while (and come back after a few minutes), that's happen rarely, so it's not a big problem.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 5 of 8
vajim
Master

Lots of complaints about firmware V2.7.2.104

all the best

Message 6 of 8
LucasRey
Tutor

@vajim wrote:

So what's the firmware I have to install? the 2.72.104 is the latest one

Message 7 of 8
vajim
Master

@LucasRey wrote:

@vajim wrote:

So what's the firmware I have to install? the 2.72.104 is the latest one

IF 2.72.104 is giving you problems (like many have reported here) wouldn't it make sense to revert back (if possible) to the last one where you were stable?

Or..........you can stay where you are and wait for others here to pepper you with 1000s of questions about your problem

it's up to you

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7