Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Devices only connecting to 2.4 orbi band not 5ghz

Aaron2019
Aspirant

Devices only connecting to 2.4 orbi band not 5ghz

Hello,
Iv had my orbi for around a year now and only noticed as recently that I'm only connecting to the 2.4 GHz channel with phones and tablets etc regardless if it's on router or satelite.
Phones - s8+ and s10+ so they are.. Obviously 5 GHz capable.

I can occasionally somehow pick up onto 5 but it doesn't last long as it folds to 2.4. I'm in same room as either device when attempting so the range is not the issue.

The router / satelite are separated roughly by 10m through brick wall(s) and are connected via 5 GHz themself between each other.

Anyone have suggestions or solutions to be able to utalise the the band as it's roughly 20% faster then my 2.4 speed tests
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Which model of Orbi do you have?

Is it correct to conclude that the information about which WiFi band is being connected comes from the web interface?  (or, is it the Orbi smartphone app?)

Message 2 of 10
Aaron2019
Aspirant

Hiya, rbk50 3000.

Both the app and the Web interface show 2.4 for devices but satelite is 5ghz connected to router.
Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 4 of 10
Aaron2019
Aspirant

Did a reply but it vanished...

House is 200ish but 1 acre properties so no wifi crossovers.
Did all attempts at setting ideas including factory reset router and satelite this morning then reconfigured the setup as per suggestions here.
Wifi bands are now set to 1 /40 as they were the best via wifi analyse app.

My satelite had trouble reset up but got it going again with some level of frustration involved.

It's connected to 5ghz via router
All my devices including s8+ s10+ and tab s2 are all connecting to 2.4 GHz band not the 5 still. Fact that satelite connects at 5ghz to router makes me wonder what the hell.

Any other suggestions? If I move between areas the devices move between router and satelite.. But stay 2.4.

I can send an image of screenshot but was unsure if posting it for up address's was wise.
Message 5 of 10
Aaron2019
Aspirant

Ps. Tab s2 does seem to connect as 5ghz when sitting beside router.. But it swaps between 2.4/5 when glancing at page. It's not on or doing anything though and it's about 2 inches from router.
Message 6 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a factory reset been performed and setup from scratch after new FW has been loaded? 

Message 7 of 10
Aaron2019
Aspirant

Yes I said I factory reset today In previous post
Message 8 of 10
Aaron2019
Aspirant

Bumping, tried factory reset phone but didn't help. Next option is reduce the power of 2.4 GHz band.. But that seems counter productive to the design?
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I would file a support ticket and see about getting an RMA. Possible you have a faulty system. 

@Aaron2019 wrote:
Bumping, tried factory reset phone but didn't help. Next option is reduce the power of 2.4 GHz band.. But that seems counter productive to the design?

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7