Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Different SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz on RBR20

SKPnSFP
Aspirant

Different SSID for 2.4 and 5GHz on RBR20

We'd like to set the SSID for 2.4GHz and SSID for 5Ghz to different names.  Can't figure out how to do that in the wireless settings. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Setting of separate SSIDs is not officially supported by NG for Orbi systems. 

Message 2 of 12
SKPnSFP
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Understood,  which is why I asked on a community board as opposed to contacting Netgear. Can it be done and how?

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@SKPnSFP wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Understood,  which is why I asked on a community board as opposed to contacting Netgear. Can it be done and how?

It can be but is outside the concept of a true mesh system.   You may be better off to do a search here for there are a ton of discussions on the subject. Some involve using FTP.   One may want ask why do want to do this?

Message 4 of 12
CrimpOn
Guru

I want to echo @Retired_Member.  Not only is setting different SSID for 2.4G and 5G not supported in the product setup, but methods people have found to "get around" this restriction by using telnet commands will not necessarily work with future firmware releases.  There are literally hundreds of posts on this subject.

Now that the Orbi does have a method to stop broadcasting the 5G SSID (temporarily, one hopes), most of the issues about connecting "smart devices" (with dumb software) have gone away.  Users on this forum have found ways to make almost everything work with only a single SSID.

If there is a really serious, important reason why your home WiFi has to have different SSID's by frequency band, then take back the Orbi. Get something else.

Message 5 of 12

@SKPnSFP wrote:

We'd like to set the SSID for 2.4GHz and SSID for 5Ghz to different names.

Why do you want to do this?

I ask because some people request that and then discover that they don't need it because there are other ways to do what they want.

For example, people often ask for separate SSIDs because they want to set up some piece of poorly implemented Internet of Things (IoT) toys.

A lot of people find that this is not essential. They just turn off the 5GHz SSID broadcast while they configure their IoT things.

Here's one recent conversation:

Solved: orbi 20 cannot connect Swann Camera - NETGEAR Communities

Message 6 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the Orbi and see if it works for you in the intended design first. You may find that it will work. If you have specific 2.4Ghz devices that need connecting, first setup the same SSID and PW used on your prior router system on the Orbi. You can use this same information. Thus making migration to Orbi less of a hassle. For some newer 2.4Ghz only supporting devices, there is a solution on getting them to connect as @michaelkenward suggested. It works. 

@SKPnSFP wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Message 7 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try the Orbi and see if it works for you in the intended design first. You may find that it will work. If you have specific 2.4Ghz devices that need connecting, first setup the same SSID and PW used on your prior router system on the Orbi. You can use this same information. Thus making migration to Orbi less of a hassle. For some newer 2.4Ghz only supporting devices, there is a solution on getting them to connect as @michaelkenward suggested. It works. 

what happened to this response..."Setting of separate SSIDs is not officially supported by NG for Orbi systems. "

Message 8 of 12

@Retired_Member wrote:

what happened to this response..."Setting of separate SSIDs is not officially supported by NG for Orbi systems. "

What do you mean?

I assume that this is what you are asking about? Hard to tell from the nested quotes in your reply.

Message 9 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I was replying to @FURRYe38 who originally said.."Setting of separate SSIDs is not officially supported by NG for Orbi systems. "

Then he came back with another response with possible options..???.....somewhat confusing.

Message 10 of 12

@Retired_Member wrote:

I was replying to @FURRYe38 who originally said.."Setting of separate SSIDs is not officially supported by NG for Orbi systems. "

Then he came back with another response with possible options..???.....somewhat confusing.

Not in the least. Both responses are perfectly accurate and not at all contradictory.

Netgear does not support using two separate SSIDs.

Netgear does support turning off SSID broadcasts.

Where is there a confusion in that?

I suggested disabling the 5 GHz SSID because @SKPnSFP did not explain why they wanted to have two different SSIDs.

My first message explains why I put that idea forward. So I will leave you to read that again if you are interested.

Message 11 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

Not in the least. Both responses are perfectly accurate and not at all contradictory.

Netgear does not support using two separate SSIDs.

Netgear does support turning off SSID broadcasts.

Where is there a confusion in that?

I suggested disabling the 5 GHz SSID because @SKPnSFP did not explain why they wanted to have two different SSIDs.

My first message explains why I put that idea forward. So I will leave you to read that again if you are interested.

his second response (IMHO) added no value.  It was only after others talking different options.  Sorry you see it otherwise..  have a nice day please

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7