Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Different SSID

ronothan
Tutor

Different SSID

Would love love some help with setup

I have a router which is used for one business and has the SSID “business-wifi”. This modem/router connects directly to the internet.

I’d like to set up the Orbi via wired backhaul to the business-wifi router, with a different SSID called airbnb-wifi

How would I set that up?

And also, can I have the satellites connect to the business-wifi via wired backhaul without a problem!?
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Different SSID

Please post about this over on the main Orbi forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/bd-p/Orbi

You would probably run the Orib system in AP mode:

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

No the RBS have to be connected to the back of the RBR or RBR via a ethernet switch connected to the back of the RBR an the RBS connected to this LAN switch. 

@ronothan wrote:
Would love love some help with setup

I have a router which is used for one business and has the SSID “business-wifi”. This modem/router connects directly to the internet.

I’d like to set up the Orbi via wired backhaul to the business-wifi router, with a different SSID called airbnb-wifi

How would I set that up?

And also, can I have the satellites connect to the business-wifi via wired backhaul without a problem!?

Message 2 of 7
Fl1ntstone
Apprentice

Hi,

Normally the Orbi system uses the same SSID for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands, but you can split them so that they are using different SSIDs.  I believe that is what you are trying to do?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

CheerZ

Message 3 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@ronothan wrote:
How would I set that up?

Yes, you can do this. 

Connect the Orbi to the existing router with ethernet.

Set the Orbi in Access Point (AP) mode.

Disable the SSID broadcast on the primary network.

Name the Guest SSID "airbnb-wifi" and give it an appropriate password.

Do NOT check the box "Allow guests to see each other.."

Of course, the Orbi could replace the existing WiFi router, but that's not what you asked.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:
´

As long as Orbi is in AP Mode you don't need to disable the main router's wifi "business-wifi" if you would like to keep it, and as long as you use different SSID and radio channels for Orbi than for the main router

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@ekhalil wrote:

@CrimpOn wrote:

As long as Orbi is in AP Mode you don't need to disable the main router's wifi "business-wifi" if you would like to keep it, and as long as you use different SSID and radio channels for Orbi than for the main router

I was suggesting to disable the Orbi primary network broadcast and using only the Guest network for the AirBnB.  If guests connect to the Orbi primary network, then they are essentially on the main router's primary network.  If they are on the Guest network, then they are supposed to be restricted to Internet only, and should not see any devices on the main router network.

I am not sure why an Orbi was chosen for this application, but I imagine the "business" would not want guests hacking away at it.

Message 6 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

I was suggesting to disable the Orbi primary network broadcast and using only the Guest network for the AirBnB.  If guests connect to the Orbi primary network, then they are essentially on the main router's primary network.  ........

Yes, good point @CrimpOn that you want the guests to only use the Orbi Guest network. The main network can be used for administration if needed.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7