Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Different networks on ethernet ports (1 Home - 1 Guest)

Frank-NYC
Tutor

Different networks on ethernet ports (1 Home - 1 Guest)

Hello,

I am working to get a home network configured with many IoT and devices that should be segmented from the home network devices.    In an effort to keep all of the IoT on the Guest or separate network, I need several wired ethernet ports, for that I was going to have a separate/standalone switch.

My question is can you configure any of the orbi ethernet ports to be on specific and/or different networks (ie Home network or Guest network)?    

For example on the router: Can any of these configurations be achived: (a) 1 Guest network ethernet port and 1 Home network ethernet port; (b) all guest network ethernet ports; (c) 1 guest network and wired backhaul ports

For example on mesh node:  Can any of these configuation be achived: (a) 1 Guest network ethernet port and 1 Home network ethernet port; (b) all guest network ethernet ports; (c) 1 guest network and 1 wired backhaul connection.

-----

My desired configuration is:  (Is this possible?)

Cable Modem ->  Orbi Router

Orbi Router  -> Ethernet port x (Guest network) -> standalong non-managed switch for IoT (DCHP from guest network from Orbi)

Orbi Router  -> Ethernet port y -> Backhaul wired connection to mesh node y

Orbi Router  -> Ethernet port z -> Backhaul wired connection to mesh node z

Orbi Mesh Node -> Ethernet port a (wired Backhaul)

-> Ethernet port b (Home Network)

-----

Thanks,
Frank

Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Different networks on ethernet ports (1 Home - 1 Guest)

@Frank-NYC wrote:

My question is can you configure any of the orbi ethernet ports to be on specific and/or different networks (ie Home network or Guest network)?   

Alas, no. All Orbi LAN ports are on the primary network.  "Guest" applies only to WiFi.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7