Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Direct wired satellite keeps trying to connect to router wirelessly

LSUMeathead
Follower

Direct wired satellite keeps trying to connect to router wirelessly

I'm having trouble getting my setup right & it is frustrating because it should be ridiculously simple.

I have a three level house. My cable modem is plugged dirrectly into my RBR50 router & both are in the basement (moving them is not really a feasible option). I have an RBS50 satellite on the main floor in the kitchen connected wirelessly to the router. I have another RBS50 satellite direcly above the kitchen satellite on the upper level in the master bedroom, also connected wirelessly (usually daisy chanined off the kitchen). And this week, I purchased an RBS20 satellite to put in my daughter's room down the hall from the master bedroom on the upper level.

My daughter's room is the anomaly. It is the furthest room in the house from where the router is. It has always gotten a weak wifi signal. Even wth a strong signal from the master bedroom satellite, her room is somehow shielded from external wireless. I've tested this many times and in many ways with different hardware, but it constantly gets dropouts, disconnects, etc. So my final solution was to get the RBS20 for her room & hardwire it directly to the router in the basement and use ethernet backhaul so she has a consistent signal in her room and it's still part of the home network. Overkill? Probably, but it's the path I have chosen to go down.

So here's the problem. I set up the new RBS20 that will be hardwired. Went through all the normal steps. Registered it in the same room as the router. Let the lights turn blue. Then plugged in a cable from the router to the satellite. Let it turn blue again. Verified in the app that it is connected via wired & not wireless. Good to go! Unplug the satellite, take it to daughter's room. Plug it in & plug in the ethernet cable that runs from the basement to upstairs. The satellite cycles through, boots up, and glows blue. Orbi shows that it is hardwired, but then it flips back to wireless & the status is amber (poor signal) because it's wirelessly trying to connect to the router or daisy chain off another satellite in a room that already receives a poor signal from outside.

What can I do to make the RBS20 stay on ethernet backhaul and stop reverting to wireless?

A few notes:

• I have no other routers, splitters, or hardware in line with the orbi system
  • All firmware is updated & current
  • I've assigned static IPs to all satellites
  • Daisy chain is on because if not, then my wireless satellite upstairs gets a weak signal
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Any chance of bad cabling between the router and this one room where the RBS is remotely placed? 

If the RBS worked wired when you had it near the RBR, then moved it to the remote location, seems to be a cabling issue maybe at the remote location.

@LSUMeathead wrote:

I'm having trouble getting my setup right & it is frustrating because it should be ridiculously simple.

I have a three level house. My cable modem is plugged dirrectly into my RBR50 router & both are in the basement (moving them is not really a feasible option). I have an RBS50 satellite on the main floor in the kitchen connected wirelessly to the router. I have another RBS50 satellite direcly above the kitchen satellite on the upper level in the master bedroom, also connected wirelessly (usually daisy chanined off the kitchen). And this week, I purchased an RBS20 satellite to put in my daughter's room down the hall from the master bedroom on the upper level.

My daughter's room is the anomaly. It is the furthest room in the house from where the router is. It has always gotten a weak wifi signal. Even wth a strong signal from the master bedroom satellite, her room is somehow shielded from external wireless. I've tested this many times and in many ways with different hardware, but it constantly gets dropouts, disconnects, etc. So my final solution was to get the RBS20 for her room & hardwire it directly to the router in the basement and use ethernet backhaul so she has a consistent signal in her room and it's still part of the home network. Overkill? Probably, but it's the path I have chosen to go down.

So here's the problem. I set up the new RBS20 that will be hardwired. Went through all the normal steps. Registered it in the same room as the router. Let the lights turn blue. Then plugged in a cable from the router to the satellite. Let it turn blue again. Verified in the app that it is connected via wired & not wireless. Good to go! Unplug the satellite, take it to daughter's room. Plug it in & plug in the ethernet cable that runs from the basement to upstairs. The satellite cycles through, boots up, and glows blue. Orbi shows that it is hardwired, but then it flips back to wireless & the status is amber (poor signal) because it's wirelessly trying to connect to the router or daisy chain off another satellite in a room that already receives a poor signal from outside.

What can I do to make the RBS20 stay on ethernet backhaul and stop reverting to wireless?

A few notes:

• I have no other routers, splitters, or hardware in line with the orbi system
  • All firmware is updated & current
  • I've assigned static IPs to all satellites
  • Daisy chain is on because if not, then my wireless satellite upstairs gets a weak signal

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@LSUMeathead wrote:

The satellite cycles through, boots up, and glows blue. Orbi shows that it is hardwired, but then it flips back to wireless & the status is amber (poor signal) because it's wirelessly trying to connect to the router or daisy chain off another satellite in a room that already receives a poor signal from outside.

This is the puzzler.  "Turns blue and shows hardwired, but then...."

One way to check the ethernet cable is attached a computer (laptop?) to the cable and see if it connects to the router successfully.

Are the RBR50 and the RBS30 on the latest firmware?

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7