Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disable 2.4/5 on Orbi RBR50

Sparty56884
Aspirant

Disable 2.4/5 on Orbi RBR50

I'm looking to use only the wifi LAN backhaul on my Orbi device for now, since i'm using another wifi AP. I am trying to disable the 2.4/5 on the ORBI RBR50 (FW: V2.5.1.16). I went to Advanced->Advanced Setup->Wireless Settings (as mentioned in other threads), but the option to turn off 2.4/5 is not there. Current menu options in the above include between the 2:

-Enable SSID
-Enable 20/40 MHz Coexistence
-Enable WMM Settings
-CTS/RTS Threshold
-Preamble Mode
-Transmit Power Control (can set down to 25%)

My guess is FW updates removed this option mentioned last year. Are there options if i telnet in to configure/adjust this item? If so, any links on how to do this?

Many thanks
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Disable 2.4/5 on Orbi RBR50

As you have learned, Netgear does not provide the option to turn off the WiFi radios on the Orbi product line.  We can only speculate what led to this decision, as other Netgear products do provide this option.  My own (personal) thinking is that managing devices which can connect to both bands and can roam from one Orbi device to another is so deeply ingrained in the product design that "things may break" if the WiFi capability were not present.  Anyway, "it is what it is."

And, yes, it appears to be possible to use telnet commands to disable individual Orbi WiFi radios.  It is not supported by Netgear, and my observation is that people find it a frustrating experience.  There are some LONG posts about "Separating 2.4G and 5G SSID" that have instructions buried in them.

What a fascinating concept: to install an Orbi system for the sole purpose of using the hidden 5G WiFi connection as an ethernet bridge.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7