Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disable SSID broadcasting in AX6000 (RBR850), firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

Strada
Aspirant

Disable SSID broadcasting in AX6000 (RBR850), firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

ORBI router AX6000 (RBR850), firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

One of the priority features I looked for before choosing the AX6000 was the ability to disable the SSID broadcasting. I consider this an important security feature.

In previous and the current AX6000 manual, in the default settings on pages 130, 132, 134 & 135 it shows that the default for broadcasting the SSID is set to Enabled. This, to me, inicated that it could be disabled.

I would like the next firmware upgrade to include this feature.

Note: During my first call to the Netgear technical help line they advised that this feature was included and they guided me through the steps of logging into the AX6000 router (not through the app) and getting to the SSID broadcasting enable function. They described exactly where the function was located on the page and where surprised that I couldn't find it. This, to me, suggests that the firmware the tech was viewing included the function and therefore had already been programmed but was not activated for some reason. Based on this it should be relatively simple to add the function in the next firmware upgrade.

Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Disable SSID broadcasting in AX6000 (RBR850), firmware V3.2.16.22_1.4.9

Please feel free to reach out to NG and post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

This feature has been missing since the Orbi AX first released. 

ALso please post about any Orbi AX questions, help and information over in the Orbi AX forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@Strada wrote:

Note: During my first call to the Netgear technical help line they advised that this feature was included and they guided me through the steps of logging into the AX6000 router (not through the app) and getting to the SSID broadcasting enable function. They described exactly where the function was located on the page and where surprised that I couldn't find it. This, to me, suggests that the firmware the tech was viewing included the function and therefore had already been programmed but was not activated for some reason. Based on this it should be relatively simple to add the function in the next firmware upgrade.

You may be one of the few customers to post on this forum who is able to talk to Netgear.  For most of us, that "complimentary" 90 day support period expired LONG ago.

I reach exactly the opposite conclusion that you did from the Netgear conversation.  I doubt very much that the tech would have an RBR850 that he/she could access, and think an (old version of the) User Manual was up on the screen and that the ability to disable SSID broadcast may have existed at one time and been removed as part of a firmware update.

That would be a simple matter to resolve: call Netgear again and when the tech says, "open this web page" ask "Which firmware release is on this RBR850 you are looking at?"  Or, "what's the date on this User Manual you are reading from?"

I think @FURRYe38 was correct that posting the question in the AX community forum may get a response from people who own the RBR850 and have encountered this issue.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I have a feeling some of the screen shots in the User manual PDF are used from Orbi AC since the UI is used between the AC and AX systems. Someone just copied and pasted not knowing there are differences. That feature hasn't been on AX in any FW version. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 6
KennethJacker
Aspirant

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to enable the broadcast of the SSID.

I have the most recent firmware is on both the router and each of two satellites.

How can I disable the SSID !!!

If not possible, please include that functionality in the next firmware release ...

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

That feature hasn't been on AX in any FW version.

You can post about this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-home

Good Luck

@KennethJacker wrote:

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to enable the broadcast of the SSID.

I have the most recent firmware is on both the router and each of two satellites.

How can I disable the SSID !!!

If not possible, please include that functionality in the next firmware release ...

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7