Discussion stats
  • 83 replies
  • 5642 views
  • 20 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Top Contributors
Reply

Re: Disable auto change IP address


@ekhalil wrote:

I agree,

@garrettg84, I think that you can easily solve your issue by keeping the private address on the ISP modem so the interface to Orbi keeps always a private address..

Using bridge (passthrough) in the modem seems not working for you since the modem will -momentarily- change to private address when it looses the internet connection and then gets back the public IP address which confuses Orbi.

If you have access to your modem (or if the ISP can help you with that) then I suggest to remove the passthrough mode and instead use DMZ forwarding. This way the modem will keep the private address network and the DMZ forwarding will take care of the double NAT.


I don't have the ability to control inbound ports because the ISP modem is locked down. This is not a solution. I don't need to dumb down my network and configurability because the Orbi is falsely detecting an IP conflict. I will simply get another vendor's product that does not have these rediculous issues in a feature I don't want or need.

Message 26 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address


@garrettg84 wrote:


I will simply get another vendor's product that does not have these rediculous issues in a feature I don't want or need.


A word of warning, all routers are likely to show similar behaviour if you insist on slapping them behind another router.

 

By the way, a quick check of a manual for the Ubee DDW36C suggests that it has advice on setting it up in bridge mode.

 

Ubee DDW36C Advanced Wireless Gateway - cloudfront.net

 

You may need those instructions with the next router you try to shoehorn on to your network.

Just another user.

My network DM200 -> R7800 -> GS316 -> PL1000 -> Orbi RBR40 -> Orbi RBS50Y -> RBS40V
Message 27 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address

I guess nobody reads any of the above posts before posting. I have no control over my cable modem. I have to call my ISP to get them to put it in 'pass through' (Bridge mode). I don't need to, nor can I, configure my cable modem.

I need the Orbi to kill the IP conflict service. It is not functioning properly. My internal network subnet is 10.99.99.0/24. The external subnet is either a public IP address during normal operation, or 192.168.100.0/24 during connecting/reset operations. There is never an actual conflict. These subnets do not overlap. There is a problem with the service.

 

I don't have a router slapped behind a router. Stop being inflamitory. Read the posts. Offer something useful, or simply don't comment. It is very easy.

Message 28 of 84
Highlighted
Master

Re: Disable auto change IP address

Which page of the ubee manual offers advice?  The Advanced->Options page states that once put in Bridged Mode, all of the other menu items can be seen but are not active.  The advice must be on another page?  I am considering putting my ubee into Bridge Mode, and this discussion has made me reluctant to try it.

I love my Orbi.
Message 29 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address

root@RBR50:~# config get wan_proto
dhcp
root@RBR50:~# config get wan_dhcp_ipaddr
45.37.xx.xx
root@RBR50:~# config get wan_dhcp_netmask
255.255.224.0
root@RBR50:~# config get wan_dhcp_oldip
45.37.xx.xx
root@RBR50:~# config get wan_dhcp_gateway
45.37.64.1
root@RBR50:~# config get wan_dhcp_server
142.254.207.89
root@RBR50:~# config get wan_netmask
0.0.0.0

root@RBR50:~# config get lan_proto
dhcp
root@RBR50:~# config get lan_ipaddr
10.99.99.1
root@RBR50:~# config get lan_netmask
255.255.255.0
root@RBR50:~# config get old_lan_ipaddr
192.168.1.1
root@RBR50:~# config get lan_ip_dynam
0
root@RBR50:~# config get lan_dhcp
1

 

@ekhalil - any idea which service runs to detect the IP conflict or which service runs to change the IPs during a conflict? I'd be happy to kill those services.

 


@ekhalil wrote:

It will be interesting to get the follwing information from Orbi about the internet & LAN IP settings. Please enable telnet in the router's debug page, telnet to the router and print the following parameters (please mask the public IP adresses before pasting them here):

> config get wan_proto

> config get wan_dhcp_ipaddr

> config get wan_dhcp_netmask

> config get wan_dhcp_oldip

> config get wan_dhcp_gateway

> config get wan_dhcp_server

> config get wan_netmask

> config get lan_proto

> config get lan_ipaddr

> config get lan_netmask

> config get old_lan_ipaddr

> config get lan_ip_dynam

> config get lan_dhcp

 


Message 30 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address

If you don't need it for any particular reason, don't do it or you'll likely end up in my same condition every single month with no connectivity until you can chase down the constantly moving Orbi.

 

I must have mine in bridge mode otherwise I cannot allow inbound ports as necessary because I don't have access to any configuration pages in my modem.

Message 31 of 84
Highlighted
Master

Re: Disable auto change IP address

Have you done a "total factory reset" on the Orbi?

 

When I was having issues with the Orbi log not working correctly, I resisted doing a "total reset" for months (because of the tedium of entering all of the IP's I had assigned to devices.  With over 100 items on a network, it would take a problem like yours to get me to do it.  Fortunately, ekhalil showed me a way to do a mass import of IP assignments, device names, etc.  (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Quick-way-to-re-enter-your-IP-reservations-after-factory-reset...)

 

The reason I ask about a total restart is these sections in your description:

 

Eventually it appears the Orbi itself goes into bridge mode and I end up with a public IP in the 45.36.x.x-45.37.x.x range on the INSIDE OF MY NETWORK. This means only a single device in my house among a hundred or so devices gets to use the internet. Nothing else gets an IP because my ISP only allows a single public IP.

 

Often times I have to unplug the Orbi from the cable modem and reset the Orbi router to get it to stop flipping IPs. After that, it still comes up one last time with the IP conflict detection page, then I'm able to change it because it stopped running from imaginary conflicts.

 

If the Orbi is going into Bridge Mode or changing its own LAN side address from 10.99.99.1, then something is VERY WRONG.

 

I love my Orbi.
Message 32 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address


@CrimpOn wrote:

Have you done a "total factory reset" on the Orbi?

 

If the Orbi is going into Bridge Mode or changing its own LAN side address from 10.99.99.1, then something is VERY WRONG.

 


I completely agree. Actually, the morning of my original post, I did a factory reset. It will be another 26 days before I get my regular reset hit.

 

I was aggravated enough because it was flipping IPs fast enough I couldn't catch it sitting still long enough to manually set the IP again. I didn't care if I had to re-do my configs. If the Orbi loses its mind again this month, I'm simply going to throw in the towel and replace it.

Message 33 of 84
Highlighted
Master

Re: Disable auto change IP address

Please post what happens the next time your modem resets.  I had no idea that a router would detect address conflicts on the WAN side.  I had thought it saw conflicts only when responding to DHCP requests on the LAN side (that the router is handing out).

I love my Orbi.
Message 34 of 84
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Disable auto change IP address


@garrettg84 wrote:

...
MFR: Ubee

Model: DDW36C

...

Before uplink/downlink, 192.168.100.1/24 IP address is assigned to modem. Connected host(s) get 192.168.100.(11-254)/24 IP until uplink/downlink is established.


This is the cumbersome local "management" access to an non-connected, non-configured cable modem (or cable router) before receiving the configuration from the TV Internet operator. These cable modems are intended to be run 24*7, and are typically connected to some 99.9x% to the cable TV provider network. And this mode is virtually invisible. You do not - never - power-off that cable modem. Should it happen that the cable modem does loose connection to the cable TV network or it does reboot at that point randomly, talk to the TV network operator - this should not happen regularly.

 


@garrettg84 wrote:

After uplink/downlink is established, lan link is dropped and brought back up to induce DHCP discover. Public ISP owned IP is handed out via DHCP (stays same for approximately one month) to connected host - only one host can get a public IP, other hosts fail to connect. Orbi router is only connected device.


Now when you connect any system - no matter an Orbi router, another vendor router, or simply a computer direct to the cable modem, you should be able to get always the public IP address.

 

Consumer and many business class routers simply run a DHCP client, and put the the address assigned to the Internet/WAN interface.

 


@garrettg84 wrote:

Public ISP owned IP is handed out via DHCP (stays same for approximately one month) to connected host - only one host can get a public IP, other hosts fail to connect. Orbi router is only connected device.


Here again, the router has to accept the new assigned - it does not know of this assigned config is coming from the cable modem local management mode, or from the cable ISP DHCP. Some ISP disconnect and force a re-connection assigning a new IPv4 address every 24 hours, some every week, some every month, ... some randomly or almost never. Either case, the router has to accept this change, and can't do anything against. 


@garrettg84 wrote:

My Orbi also assigns DHCP in 198.162.1.x and gives itself 198.162.1.1.  Frankly, I do not understand what difference it would make if I had chosen 10.99.99.x and given the Orbi 10.99.99.1.  What happens on the WAN side is entirely separate from the LAN side.  (Or, not?)


Orbi does default to the 192.168.1.0/24 for the LAN. Like most newer Netgear routers. 

 

There is nothing that stops you form changing the LAN config to use say 10.99.99.0/24 with the Orbi LAN being on 10.99.99.1, and adopt the DHCP pool accordingly (happens automatically I'd expect). Essentially, this is what I would suggest to do - and I show you below, why.

 


@garrettg84 wrote:

So, why does he go through hell every month and I do not?  Is it because even with numerous devices, my network use is "dirt simple?" 


Up to here we can only guess - in the flood of information I can't see what really happens. The Netgear router have a "smart-a**" functionality - if they see certain private LAN IP on the WAN/Internet side, they go and (silently!) reconfigure the LAN to be on a very different subnetwork (unless it is already). Now I know for sure this will happen if the WAN/Internet interface would receive a 192.168.1.0/24 address. But the lazy implementation might go and change if it does get a 192.168.100.0/24 address, too. And then the router LAN will go to 10.0.0.1 (either a /24 [25.255.255.0] or a /8 [255.0.0.0] subnet) - HAVOC perfect. While that's not correct - well welcome to Netgear!

 

When you head to the LAN config on 10.99.99.0/24 it's less risk that the "dumb-a**" protection does jump in again.

Hope this does clarify.

Message 35 of 84
Highlighted
Master

Re: Disable auto change IP address

I think most of those quotes were from my post, not garrettg84.  (He is a lot more sophisticated than I am.)

 

The key (to me) is that his Orbi is NOT doing what we all say it should be doing.  i.e. He has set the Orbi to router mode, and has set the LAN port of his Orbi to 10.99.99.1 and gives out DHCP addresses in 10.99.99.x.  What seems to happen is that once a month the Orbi decides to change the LAN side to random IP's, and even seems to put itself into bridge mode and give the public IP to its LAN interface.  Since we all agree, "this CAN'T HAPPEN", then the Orbi software is broken.  (I have long believed that there are some pointers loose in their implementation of OpenWRT that eventually overwrite something critical.)  My experience has been that simply restarting Orbi does not "fix" whatever has gone wrong.

 

I agree with the sentiment that cable modems should not be powered off.  However, they do get powered off when there are general power outages and my ubee cable modem has to be power cycled when the telephone service goes funky.  (I can hear callers, but they cannot hear me.  They get frustrated and hang up.  Only restarting the modem fixes it.)  No matter.  I believe cable modems are designed to allow rebooting as often as a person wants.  Otherwise, cable companies would be flooded with calls every time someone hits their circuit breaker, there's a power outage, a cord gets pulled out, etc.

I love my Orbi.
Message 36 of 84
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Disable auto change IP address

So do you see this IP address conflic with your modem and the Orbi? 


@CrimpOn wrote:

Which page of the ubee manual offers advice?  The Advanced->Options page states that once put in Bridged Mode, all of the other menu items can be seen but are not active.  The advice must be on another page?  I am considering putting my ubee into Bridge Mode, and this discussion has made me reluctant to try it.


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 37 of 84
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Disable auto change IP address

The Netgear "smart-a**" feature (not specific to Orbi btw) should come with an option to disable - not only because of the (industry standard!) behaviour of many cable modems. It does cause more issues than it does typically fix for new installations. Can't agree more.

Message 38 of 84
Highlighted
Master

Re: Disable auto change IP address


@FURRYe38 wrote:

So do you see this IP address conflic with your modem and the Orbi? 


@CrimpOn wrote:

Which page of the ubee manual offers advice?  The Advanced->Options page states that once put in Bridged Mode, all of the other menu items can be seen but are not active.  The advice must be on another page?  I am considering putting my ubee into Bridge Mode, and this discussion has made me reluctant to try it.


I have no issues because my ubee cable modem is acting as a router.  No matter what happens on the cable side, the modem always shows 192.168.0.1 on its LAN side and assigns my Orbi 192.168.0.3.  I have left my Orbi in the default mode of 192.168.1.1 on its LAN side and assigning IP's from the 192.168.1.x range.  I also do not have over 100 WiFi devices.


 

I love my Orbi.
Message 39 of 84
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Disable auto change IP address

Ok, I was just wondering. So your configuration is working as expected then. No conflict on yours since your modem uses 01. and not 1.1 which then the Orbi would detect a conflict and change it's LAN to 10.something. 


@CrimpOn wrote:

@FURRYe38 wrote:

So do you see this IP address conflic with your modem and the Orbi? 


@CrimpOn wrote:

Which page of the ubee manual offers advice?  The Advanced->Options page states that once put in Bridged Mode, all of the other menu items can be seen but are not active.  The advice must be on another page?  I am considering putting my ubee into Bridge Mode, and this discussion has made me reluctant to try it.


I have no issues because my ubee cable modem is acting as a router.  No matter what happens on the cable side, the modem always shows 192.168.0.1 on its LAN side and assigns my Orbi 192.168.0.3.  I have left my Orbi in the default mode of 192.168.1.1 on its LAN side and assigning IP's from the 192.168.1.x range.  I also do not have over 100 WiFi devices.


 


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 40 of 84
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Disable auto change IP address

@FURRYe38 disconnect the RF cable, and reboot the ubee. Convinced it will go into some maintenance mode with a local DHCP server, issuing IP addess by DHCP.

Message 41 of 84
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Disable auto change IP address

You can ask @CrimpOn  to try that since he has a Ubee model router combo...Would be interesting to know the results. This would help verify if there is a problem with the Orib and modem router combo units in this kind of condition...


@schumaku wrote:

 disconnect the RF cable, and reboot the ubee. Convinced it will go into some maintenance mode with a local DHCP server, issuing IP addess by DHCP.


 


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 42 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address


@schumaku wrote:

@FURRYe38 disconnect the RF cable, and reboot the ubee. Convinced it will go into some maintenance mode with a local DHCP server, issuing IP addess by DHCP.


You are correct. This is the same behavior of every single cable modem I've ever had over the past 25 years. Cisco branded, Motorola branded, Various ISP brands, as well as this Ubee branded modem all do exactly the same thing. (Yes, I move. A lot.) When the RF is removed, even when bridged, they drop to the maintenance/troubleshooting mode and offer RFC 1918 addresses so that you can access the modem's configuration pages or in my case the diagnostic pages because I have no access to configuration.

Message 43 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address


@FURRYe38 wrote:

You can ask @CrimpOn  to try that since he has a Ubee model router combo...Would be interesting to know the results. This would help verify if there is a problem with the Orib and modem router combo units in this kind of condition...


@schumaku wrote:

 disconnect the RF cable, and reboot the ubee. Convinced it will go into some maintenance mode with a local DHCP server, issuing IP addess by DHCP.


 


His modem does not need to change operation. He is not bridged. There is no reason for the system to change operation. His modem is functioning as a router as is his Orbi. Even when he is connected, he is still able to access his diag/admin pages.

Message 44 of 84
Highlighted
Master

Re: Disable auto change IP address

So, when your ubee modem is in bridge mode, can you still connect to 192.168.100.1 ?  (i.e. if I "go wild" and change mine from router to bridge, can I connect to change it back?)

I love my Orbi.
Message 45 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address


@CrimpOn wrote:

So, when your ubee modem is in bridge mode, can you still connect to 192.168.100.1 ?  (i.e. if I "go wild" and change mine from router to bridge, can I connect to change it back?)


No. If I want to see diagnostics/configs, I have to disconnect RF or reset the modem.

Message 46 of 84
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Disable auto change IP address

Most cable modems, save the ones that maybe have built in routers that default to 192.168.1.1, most other stand alone cable modems default to 192.168.100.1, this would not conflict with what NG uses as there default address of 192.168.1.1. Of course I don't use modems with routers built in so I have not had chance to experience this kind of issue. For the modems I have used, all stand alone, there isn't any kind of IP conflict in this regard with any of my routers using .0.1 or .1.1. Even if I remove the RF cable.

 

I presume the only issue here would be if the modem router unit uses a default or falls back to 192.168.1.1 when the RF cable is disconnected and if you have your NG router using same IP address string, then the Orbi would detect this then switch itself to a 10. something IP address pool. Correct? 

 

Looking at the user manual, about 2.5 years old, I see it's default is 192.168.100.1

http://www.ubeeinteractive.com/sites/default/files/file_resources/DDW36C_Subscriber_User_Guide_10101...

The DDW36C is pre-configured with the default parameters for Charter Communications
(formerly Time Warner Cable).
Local Port Address: 192.168.100.1
Web Interface: http://192.168.100.1
Operation Mode: NAT Mode
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

 

This shouldn't be a problem...


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 47 of 84
Highlighted
Master

Re: Disable auto change IP address

With his LAN side set to 10.99.99.x, it seems a stretch to think the modem would come up with an IP in that range.  I can hardly imagine the trauma of having 100+ devices that want to talk to 10.99.99.1 and suddenly it isn't there any more.

I love my Orbi.
Message 48 of 84
Highlighted

Re: Disable auto change IP address

I think you are catching on to why I'm agitated. Regardless of what the modem defaults to, my internal LAN is set to 10.99.99.0/24. This is not any of the known (to me) defaults for any network gear on the planet. But somehow, it is still detecting a conflict and still flipping out my Orbi.

 


@FURRYe38 wrote:

Most cable modems, save the ones that maybe have built in routers that default to 192.168.1.1, most other stand alone cable modems default to 192.168.100.1, this would not conflict with what NG uses as there default address of 192.168.1.1. Of course I don't use modems with routers built in so I have not had chance to experience this kind of issue. For the modems I have used, all stand alone, there isn't any kind of IP conflict in this regard with any of my routers using .0.1 or .1.1. Even if I remove the RF cable.

 

I presume the only issue here would be if the modem router unit uses a default or falls back to 192.168.1.1 when the RF cable is disconnected and if you have your NG router using same IP address string, then the Orbi would detect this then switch itself to a 10. something IP address pool. Correct? 


 

Message 49 of 84
Highlighted
Guru

Re: Disable auto change IP address

Ok, so lets try this. 

Can you download the Orib v210 router FW for the RBR unit? 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

When you get this file, Power OFF the modem. Let it sit there. 

 

Connect up a wired PC and send the v210 FW to the RBR unit and let it process it. After it's processed, hold the back reset button in until the top LED turns AMBER, then let go. Power ON the modem now. After it's ready, walk thru the setup wizard on the RBR and setup the RBR from scratch. Let the wizard detect the modem and complete the setup. When you get to the end, check to see that the RBR should be using 192.168.1.1 for the LAN and if your modem is pass thru or bridged, check the IP address ON the WAN port. IT should be a ##.##.###.###? 

 

Let us know what you find. 

 

Test this further, disconnect the RF cable from the ISP Modem and reboot/power cycle the modem. Check the IP of the orbi...If the default is 192.168.100.1 for the modem, the Orbi should still maintain it's .1.1 address...


My Setup (Cable 900Mbps/50Mbps)>CAX80>Orbi RBK50 v2.5.1.16(Router Mode)
Additional NG HW: C7800/CM1100/CM1200, Orbi CBK40, Orbi RBK50/RBK853, R7800, R7960P, EX7500/EX7700, XR450 and WNHDE111
Message 50 of 84