Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disable daisy-chaining ignored

mlange
Aspirant

Disable daisy-chaining ignored

I have a setup with RBR50, RBS50 and RBS20. sometimes the topology changes dynamically to a daisy-chain where the RBS20 is connecting via the RBS50, not the RBR50 directely. this causes performance to drop and doesn't make sense, so I disabled daisy-chaining in the config. however, this setting doesn't seem to be honored, they are still creating a daisy-chain 😞 

any ideas why that is, and how to ultimately disable daisy-chaining?

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 23.35.14.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-22 at 23.10.23.png

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Disable daisy-chaining ignored

I am like you, "disabled" ought to mean "DISABLED."  One tactic might be to delete that RBS20, ensure that Daisy Chain is disabled and then do the "Add Orbi Satellite" process again.

The Orbi "app" is notorious for not showing the network connections correctly.

p.s. One of the things I absolutely hate about the Netgear community forum is that images placed "in-line" using the Photos icon in the menu bar are not visible to other users until approved by a forum moderator.  Images attached using the Browse button in the lower left are available immediately.  i.e. you went to a lot ot trouble to attach screen shots, and we cannot see them.

Message 2 of 4
Selenaa
Aspirant

The wireless mesh terminates on two points on the wired network. The first location is where the RAP attaches to the wired network, and where all bridged traffic connects to the wired network. The second location is where the CAPWAP controller connects to the wired network; this location is where the WLAN client traffic from the mesh network connects to the wired network. The WLAN client traffic from CAPWAP is tunneled at Layer 2, and matching WLANs should terminate on the same switch VLAN where the controllers are collocated.

Message 3 of 4
mlange
Aspirant

thank you for that suggestion, so I factory reset my RBS20 and re-added it as a satellite. so far it sticks to star-topology which is what I want Smiley Happy I'll continue to monitor and keep you posted! 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7