Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disabling 5ghz on Orbi using the app

ND06
Aspirant

Disabling 5ghz on Orbi using the app

Good morning I need to suspend my 5 ghz WiFi in order to connect some devices to 2.4 . I have seen other threads about “ advanced settings and disabling SSID “ however I can’t seem to do this from the app ? Any direction appreciated .

Neil Dickinson
Message 1 of 17
schumaku
Guru

Re: Disabling 5ghz on Orbi using the app

Non-standard operations procedure. Use the Web UI if documented.
Message 2 of 17
plemans
Guru

You're right. you can't do it from the app. But if you don't have a pc/laptop/mac to log in and do it, you can still do it from your phone using the browser from the phone. 

Message 3 of 17
Mstrbig
Master

@ND06 wrote:
Good morning I need to suspend my 5 ghz WiFi in order to connect some devices to 2.4 . I have seen other threads about “ advanced settings and disabling SSID “ however I can’t seem to do this from the app ? Any direction appreciated .

Neil Dickinson

Why do you have to suspend 5Ghz in order to connect 2.4Ghz devices? Or is you have devices that support both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz and want to connect 2.4Ghz? If so whhy would you want to connect a device that supports 5Ghz, to 2.4Ghz?

Message 4 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear provides a simple mechanism to accomplish this:
Navigate to the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings, Wireless Settings
Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G"
Click "Apply"
All devices that are currently connected to the Orbi will remain connected.
On the smartphone, go to wireless settings and "forget" the Orbi SSID
Search for available WiFi networks. Select the Orbi WiFi. Enter the password. and connect.
If you are curious about whether the smartphone is actually connected at 2.4G, you have to wait a few minutes, because the "Attached Devices" display takes a while to update.
Open the app and set up the 2.4G device.
Once the device is connected and working as it should, reverse the steps.
Check the "Broadcast" box and click "Apply"
"Forget" the Orbi WiFi. Search. Enter password. Connect.

Be aware that there seems to be a time limit with some iOS or Android devices that will connect to the 2.4Ghz radio for a short period of time before changing automatically to the 5Ghz SSID, even though it's been hidden. The SSID is hidden only, thus the signal is still present. So you might want to also change the power output of the 5Ghz radio to 25%. Then connect your mobile device at a distance from the RBR to ensure the mobile phone keeps connected to the 2.4Ghz radio. After you get the IoT device connected, re-configure the system back to where it was. 

@ND06 wrote:

Neil Dickinson

Message 5 of 17
ND06
Aspirant

Re: Disabling 5ghz on Orbi using the appqq

My wireless alarm platform doesn’t recognise my router . I have seen a previous post here recommending suspending the 5ghz band to allow it to connect
Message 6 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the afore mentioned process to see if this helps. Make contact with the mfr of this security product for additional help and information. 

@ND06 wrote:
My wireless alarm platform doesn’t recognise my router . I have seen a previous post here recommending suspending the 5ghz band to allow it to connect

Message 7 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@ND06 wrote:

Can you share the make of alarm system?  My Simplisafe alarm connected immediately to Orbi WiFi.  MUCH faster than the cell phone connection (which remains as a backup).

Message 8 of 17
scoboo
Guide

It appears that the UI has changed since you posted this recommendation.

A user should be able to click the "Basic" tab

Click the "Wireless" side tab

Then uncheck "Enable 5G"

Please see this screenshot:

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 1.19.55 PM.png

Message 9 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Inline images do not appear until approved by a forum moderator.

Images "attached" using the Browse button in the lower left are available immediately.

(and, no, I have no clue why the forum thinks JPG and PDF images are so dangerous.)

Message 10 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Um thats for the Orib AX system and those check boxes are to either enable or disable AX mode on either frequency. Those do not disable any 5Ghz signals which do not apply to Orbi AC or AX systems. 

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX product. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@scoboo wrote:

It appears that the UI has changed since you posted this recommendation.

A user should be able to click the "Basic" tab

Click the "Wireless" side tab

Then uncheck "Enable 5G"

Please see this screenshot:

Screen Shot 2021-03-07 at 1.19.55 PM.png

Message 11 of 17
schumaku
Guru

@scoboo These controls allow disabling/enabling WiFi 6 (802.11ac) capabilities for each band individually. This does not disable the selected band....

Message 12 of 17
cutaway
Aspirant

My Orbi web admin UI does not have "Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G".  Here is my configuration.   My MacBook M1 which is known to have Wifi card issue.  I am trying to just use 2.4Ghz to troubleshoot.   But, the MacBook is till connected to 5Ghz.

No option to turn off 5GhzNo option to turn off 5Ghz

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Try turning down the power on the 5Ghz radio and see if the Mac Book will connect to the 2.4Ghz set at 100%. 

What model Orbi do you have? 50 series? 

What FW version is loaded? 

You might use a external wifi bridge client device that you can connect a ethernet cable from the Mac Book to the wireless client in bridge mode too. 

@cutaway wrote:

My Orbi web admin UI does not have "Uncheck the box, "Broadcast SSID on 5G".  Here is my configuration.   My MacBook M1 which is known to have Wifi card issue.  I am trying to just use 2.4Ghz to troubleshoot.   But, the MacBook is till connected to 5Ghz.

No option to turn off 5GhzNo option to turn off 5Ghz

Message 14 of 17
cutaway
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have the following: RBK753 — Orbi WiFi 6 System AX4200 (1) Orbi Router (RBR750) + (2) Orbi Satellites (RBS750)  

This stupid MacBook Pro M1 is quirky and there are many complaints on various forums.   It switches from the sattelite which is 5 feet away with strong signal to the primary one that is 85 ft. away.   I tried various combination of various transmit powers of the primary and satellite.  No joy.

So I am trying to see if I can force all the devices at home to use 2.4 Ghz including this MacBook Pro M1.   (I tried using the sudo CLI to force the MacBook to connect to 2.4 Ghz.  No worky.  Stupid M1).

Anyhow, I don't think turning the 5 Ghz to 25% transmit is going to work because I am only 5 feet away from the satellite and it will hop on to the 5 Ghz.

Message 15 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps you can inquire in the Mac forums about managing the MacBook M1's network parameters.

On Windows, the Control Panel for network devices has a configuration "Advanced" tab that contains a dozen switches, including 802.11ac Wireless Mode that has three choices:

• 802.11a
  • 802.11n
  • disabled

Perhaps the Mac has a similar method of disabling 5G wireless?  If the goal is to force the Mac to 2.4G, I'm not understanding why every other device in the house has to do the same.

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Netgear has set up a community forum specifically for the Orbi AX (WiFi 6) products. Most of the people who watch that forum are more likely to have experience with Orbi AX and know how to work it better than those of us who follow this "general Orbi" forum. Might be more likely to find someone who has a solution if the question is posted there:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/bd-p/en-home-orbi-ax

Thank you.

@cutaway wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have the following: RBK753 — Orbi WiFi 6 System AX4200 (1) Orbi Router (RBR750) + (2) Orbi Satellites (RBS750)  

This stupid MacBook Pro M1 is quirky and there are many complaints on various forums.   It switches from the sattelite which is 5 feet away with strong signal to the primary one that is 85 ft. away.   I tried various combination of various transmit powers of the primary and satellite.  No joy.

So I am trying to see if I can force all the devices at home to use 2.4 Ghz including this MacBook Pro M1.   (I tried using the sudo CLI to force the MacBook to connect to 2.4 Ghz.  No worky.  Stupid M1).

Anyhow, I don't think turning the 5 Ghz to 25% transmit is going to work because I am only 5 feet away from the satellite and it will hop on to the 5 Ghz.

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7