Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disabling WiFi backhaul when using Ethernet backhaul

Anjadekar
Tutor

Disabling WiFi backhaul when using Ethernet backhaul

I have been using the Orbi RBR-50, along with the RBS-50 Satellite, for a couple of years with no issues. However, I recently bought the Sony HT-ST5000 soundbar, which hasn't been playing well with the Orbi, as documented by me here.

Basically the issue is that the soundbar connects with the soundwoofer via a 5GHz link (I can choose between 5.2GHz or 5.8GHz). As the Orbi uses the upper frequency 5GHz channels for the WiFi backaul and the lower frequency ones for the WiFi network, neither the 5.2GHz nor the 5.8GHz bands are exclusively available to the soundbar and so I am experiencing a popping sound on the subwoofer. This issue has been well documented by Nakamichi in a support document, that is applicable to my Sony system as well.

As a result, I have had to disconnect my Orbi system and go back to using my old NETGEAR R6400 router, on which I am using channel 149 with the soundbar using the 5.2GHz link on which there is no disturbance.

I would love to continue using my Orbi and was wondering if it is possible to disable the WiFi backhaul if I choose to use the Ethernet backhaul. Can this be achieved via the settings or would the WiFi backhaul continue to run regardless? If this is not possible on the Orbi then is there another mesh system on which I can achieve this?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Disabling WiFi backhaul when using Ethernet backhaul

Unfortunately the wireless back haul can't be disabled or turned off when using the RBS connected via ethernet. I presume one reason is that the RBS needs to maintain a signal with the RBR should the ethernet connection fail or become disconnected. Doesn't make full sense as if the signal was turned off while it was connected via ethernet, then if the RBS was disconnected and to be connected via wireless, the RBS sould be able to turn on that back haul radio and re-establish the wireless connection. No idea why NG handles it like this. Don't see any change in this in near future either. Same is being seen on the Orbi AX as well. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7