Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disney Circle has disappeared on Orbi RBR50

Terribl3
Tutor

Disney Circle has disappeared on Orbi RBR50

I have two Netgear routers. R8000 and Orbi mesh. I was able to set up parental controls through Circle on R8000 but on Orbi, the Disney Circle facility is not even present. This however was not true many months ago. I have reset Orbi many times now but the result is the same. In fact, on orbilogin.net, when I click on 'Parental Control' (PC) it behaves like a link as it pops out to another tab, and a parental control web page opens with this address https://www.netgear.com/lpc. So I tried through the Netgear Genie on my iPhone (Orbi app has no PC), it opens to the OpenDNS aligned parental control. There is no sign of Disney Circle. All help to bring it back will be greatly appreciated.

Firmware: V2.2.1.210

Message 1 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Re: Disney Circle has disappeared on Orbi RBR50

Do you see the following setting in the GUI (orbilogin.com)?

Namnlöst 3.png

Message 2 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

Nope. When I click on 'Parental Control' it leaps off to open a web page with info on parental control. I have posted the link in the opening post. Could this be because I am already subscribed to circle through R8000 router? But that still does not explain why the Parental Control head should behave like a link to a web page.

Message 3 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@Terribl3 wrote:

.........So I tried through the Netgear Genie on my iPhone (Orbi app has no PC), it opens to the OpenDNS aligned parental control. There is no sign of Disney Circle. All help to bring it back will be greatly appreciated.

What happens if you click on "Parental Controls" in Orbi app:

IMG_AFCCF0AC9F9F-1.jpeg

Message 4 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

For some reason, my app does not show parental control:

IMG_3543.PNG

Message 5 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Ok, then I know why you can't use Circle or even Parental Control on Orbi.

Your Orbi seems to be set in AP mode and in this mode Orbi acts only as a wireless access point and leaves all routing decision to the main router and therefore can't do any parental contol.

If you want Orbi to do parental control then you need to set it in Router mode. In this case you need to set the main router in bridged mode to avoid IP conflicts.

Message 6 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

Actually, my Orbi is in router mode. Otherwise I don't think I can even access Parental Control in AP mode. Though my modem is not in bridge mode, the Orbi is avoiding IP conflict by using 10.0.0.x series of IP. 

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 7.29.17 PM.png

Message 7 of 43
ekhalil
Master

So how does your setting look like in this page:

Namnlöst.png

and this page:

Namnlöst 2.png

Please click on Router Mode (even if it's already in Router Mode) and click on Apply and see if anything will change.

My analysis is that your Orbi is in AP mode, or it thinks that it's in AP mode.

Message 8 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@Terribl3 wrote:

Actually, my Orbi is in router mode. Otherwise I don't think I can even access Parental Control in AP mode. Though my modem is not in bridge mode, the Orbi is avoiding IP conflict by using 10.0.0.x series of IP. 

Screenshot 2018-12-26 at 7.29.17 PM.png

When posting pictures please use PNG format and not GIF as otherwise nobody will be able to see them until a moderator approves them.

Message 9 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

This is a PNG image. Anyway, would you be able to tell me the way forward? I have right now, anyway got the modem in bridge mode. The internet seems to be working fine but a little slower for some reason. The parental controls are not working but let me reset the orbi and take it from there.

Message 10 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@Terribl3 wrote:

..... but let me reset the orbi and take it from there.

I think that this is a good approach. As I mentioned earlier Orbi seems to think it's in AP mode (may be you tried earlier to set it in AP mode and then changed that?). A factory reset will hopefully clear this out. I'm sure if you set your Orbi in Router Mode you should be able to use Parental Control and Circle.

Good luck! 🙂

Message 11 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

Finally, I think I have the modem on Bridge Mode. The indication of this is during reset, Orbi did not warn of any IP conflict and took the IP access 192.168.1.1. Also it worked only when I fed in the PPPoE user and password credentials into the Orbi. I cannot, however, now access the modem as I don't know its new address to confirm anything from that end.

That said, exactly what was happening with Parental Controls, is happening right now too. There's no sign of Circle on the orbilogin.com. In fact, like earlier, when I click Parental Control on the Orbilogin page, it takes me to Netgear web page that explains Parental Control. Orbi app does not have the parental Control icon.

Since I don't have Netgear Support for this anylonger, no clue how I could resolve this. 

Message 12 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Have you done Orbi factory reset as you said you will do?

Message 13 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

Yes I did factory reset it many times to get it working right now.

Message 14 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Very strange that -somehow- Orbi thinks that you're still in AP mode.

Just to be sure please, how did you do the factory reset? Have you used a paper clip or similar object to press and hold the Reset button until the Power LED on your Orbi device blinked amber?

Have you gone through the whole procedure of setting the SSID among other things?

Message 15 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

Yes, I used a paper clip till it turned amber and began flickering. I have retained the SSID that comes with Orbi. Just changed the password.

Message 16 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Please do the following:

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands (to print the status of your router and parental control):
    • root@RBR50:/#  nvram show | grep parental

• root@RBR50:/#  nvram show | grep circle

• root@RBR50:/#  nvram show | grep ap_mode

• root@RBR50:/#  nvram show | grep rae_cur_mode

Message 17 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

This is what I get:

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep parental

dgc_func_have_dni_parental_ctl=1

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep circle

enable_circle_plc=0

dgc_func_have_circle=1

circle_jump=3594494039220732

circle_login_mark=1

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep ap_mode

newsoap_model=1

ap_mode=0

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep router_disable

router_disable=0

root@RBR50:/# nvram show | grep rae_cur_mode

rae_cur_mode=router

Message 18 of 43
ekhalil
Master

Please try the following:

root@RBR50:/# config set parental_switch=0

root@RBR50:/# config set enable_circle_plc=1

root@RBR50:/# config commit

After that check if you will see the Parental Control option in orbilogin.com. You might need to reboot the router for this to take effect, but please try first without reboot.

Message 19 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

Did as you suggested. Before rebooting and after. Unfortunately parental controls in orbilogin.com is still behaving like a link to a netgear webpage. 

By the way does modem going into bridgemode reduce internet speed?

Message 20 of 43
ekhalil
Master

@Terribl3 wrote:

Did as you suggested. Before rebooting and after. Unfortunately parental controls in orbilogin.com is still behaving like a link to a netgear webpage. 

By the way does modem going into bridgemode reduce internet speed?

Can this be some cache in your browser. Can you please try to clear the browser's cache or preferably try using another browser

Message 21 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

Cleared cache. Tried Chrome and Safari but no go.

Message 22 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

You might contact NG support about this.

@Blanca_O

@Terribl3 wrote:

Cleared cache. Tried Chrome and Safari but no go.

Message 23 of 43
Terribl3
Tutor

My Orbi has run out of 90 day support and I don't know any other way than talking here to reslove Netgear issues of which there seem to be too many in my life nowadays.

Message 24 of 43
FURRYe38
Guru

Send a PM to @Blanca_O and see if she can get you some help on this. 

@Terribl3 wrote:

My Orbi has run out of 90 day support and I don't know any other way than talking here to reslove Netgear issues of which there seem to be too many in my life nowadays.

Message 25 of 43
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 42 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7