Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Disney+ Won't Stream Through Orbi Router

Dortmonster
Initiate

Disney+ Won't Stream Through Orbi Router

I just reasontly lost the ability to stream Disney+ through my Orbi router.  All other streaming services (Netflix, AmazonPrime Video, etc.) all work.  If I switch off the Orbi router to my regular cable modem router it works.  I tried deleting Circle thinking that might be blocking it, but that didn't work either.  Has anybody else seen this issue and is there a solution?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 52
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Disney+ Won't Stream Through Orbi Router

@Dortmonster wrote:

I just reasontly lost the ability to stream Disney+ through my Orbi router.  All other streaming services (Netflix, AmazonPrime Video, etc.) all work.  If I switch off the Orbi router to my regular cable modem router it works.  I tried deleting Circle thinking that might be blocking it, but that didn't work either.  Has anybody else seen this issue and is there a solution?

Have you changed any settings, modified your network, updated your virus protection etc, in any way? What are the actual symptoms of Disney Plus?

Message 2 of 52
Mstrbig
Master

As a followup, I just installed Disney+ on the rest of my home TVs, ands streaming devices. With a standard Orbi setup, with no modifications, except some UPNP camera settings, Disney+ plays perfect on all devices, even one that I had to side load the app on.

Message 3 of 52
Dortmonster
Initiate

I have not modified any of the system settings prior to this occuring and there hasn't been any virus updates to my knowledge installed.  

The error i am getting when trying to stream on Disney+ is an "Opps something went wrong" error when i try to play a movie.  I am able to get into Disney+ and navigate around to all the menus and make selections to play movies, but it just won't play the video.  

Message 4 of 52
Mstrbig
Master

Unless you are blocking something, Orbi acts like any other router, mesh system and would not, by itself cause this issue.

What device are you using for Disney+? It could be the device. Try resetting the device. Also, I have an android box that I downloaded Disney+ app. It won'y play movies. Support told me their app is not compatible with the version of andriod I have and I would need to update. Unfortunately there is no update. I'm menbtioning this as this could be your problem as well.

Message 5 of 52
Vkrish
Aspirant

I am having the same issue ie Disney+ not working on orbi.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 6 of 52
Vkrish
Aspirant

Something for me.
Message 7 of 52
Mstrbig
Master

@Vkrish wrote:
I am having the same issue ie Disney+ not working on orbi.

I can confirm Disney+ plays through an Orbi device. Not sure why yours doesn't. What device are you using for Disney+? My Disney+ is streaming through 3 Samsung TVs, 1 Vizio TV and Amazon Firestick with no issues. I earlier mention it would not work on my Android box, but it now does as well. All my devices are wireless through an Orbi RBK53 system.

Message 8 of 52
Freeway
Aspirant

Just want to add my voice.  I am using latest firmware 2.5.2.4 for RBR50 and both satelites (RBR50S).  And, I cannot get my firestick TVs nor android telephones to connect to disney plus thru the wireless portion of ORBI either.  I CAN connect to disney plus using the wired network on my computer when it is plugged into the back of the orbi.  And, I can connect to disney plus when using mobile data (off the orbi wireless network).  I have no parental controls enabled on the ORBI wireless network.  Netflix, Hulu, etc. all work fine.  Disney plus and a few other select apps simply will not run through the ORBI wireless network for me.  So, please continue to share whatever solutions you may have.

Spectrum Cable Internet.  CM500 cable modem.  Orbi Mesh WiFi.  DLink 18 port switch (unmanaged). 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 9 of 52
Mstrbig
Master

@Freeway wrote:

Just want to add my voice.  I am using latest firmware 2.5.2.4 for RBR50 and both satelites (RBR50S).  And, I cannot get my firestick TVs nor android telephones to connect to disney plus thru the wireless portion of ORBI either.  I CAN connect to disney plus using the wired network on my computer when it is plugged into the back of the orbi.  And, I can connect to disney plus when using mobile data (off the orbi wireless network).  I have no parental controls enabled on the ORBI wireless network.  Netflix, Hulu, etc. all work fine.  Disney plus and a few other select apps simply will not run through the ORBI wireless network for me.  So, please continue to share whatever solutions you may have.

Spectrum Cable Internet.  CM500 cable modem.  Orbi Mesh WiFi.  DLink 18 port switch (unmanaged). 

It is not the fault of the Orbi system. I have the same system and Disney+ plays fine as well as firesticks, android telephones, smart devices and many different types of devices.

It is faulty configuration on the devices, something in the Orbi mix, or the user may be using 3rd party DNS servers, other then their ISP provided ones. There is usually no problem with 3rd party DNS servers, but some can cause erratic behaviour. So it's alway better to use your ISP provided DNS servers and let the Orbi get them automatically when installing.

You could try this. Reset and remove WIFI connections on the devices that will not work correctly on an Orbi system.

Do you have any of your satellites or Router going through the Dlink switch? sometimes switches can cause strange behaviour as well. 

Message 10 of 52
Freeway
Aspirant

Double checked.  Obtaining all DNS info automatically.  Removed switch.  Restarted cable modem.  Restarted router.  No change.

Disney plus still wont work thru Orbi.

The only thing I am currently doing different from default on the orbi is that I am using the backhaul to one satellite.

Keep up the suggestions though... Genuinely interested in figuring this out.

Message 11 of 52
Mstrbig
Master

@Freeway wrote:

Double checked.  Obtaining all DNS info automatically.  Removed switch.  Restarted cable modem.  Restarted router.  No change.

Disney plus still wont work thru Orbi.

The only thing I am currently doing different from default on the orbi is that I am using the backhaul to one satellite.

Keep up the suggestions though... Genuinely interested in figuring this out.

Can you explain? "The only thing I am currently doing different from default on the orbi is that I am using the backhaul to one satellite."

Message 12 of 52
Freeway
Aspirant

I have one of the RBS50 satelittes connected via ethernet to the main router RBR50.  My main PC is then connected via ethernet to the satelite as well. I do this so that I maintain a wired connection to the router for firmware updates etc.

Message 13 of 52
Freeway
Aspirant

I have since removed the ethernet between the router RBR50 and one of the satellites.  I tested again and Disney Plus still would not work wirelessly despite having a great signal, etc., on the firestick. 

Ironically, I had to replace my TV today.  Once I ran ethernet from the back of my RBS50 satellite to the TV, I got the disney plus app to work no problem.  So, why wont disney plus operate wirelessly on the ORBI if it has no problem working when wired directly to the satellite RBS50 via ethernet?

Message 14 of 52
Mstrbig
Master

@Freeway wrote:

I have since removed the ethernet between the router RBR50 and one of the satellites.  I tested again and Disney Plus still would not work wirelessly despite having a great signal, etc., on the firestick. 

Ironically, I had to replace my TV today.  Once I ran ethernet from the back of my RBS50 satellite to the TV, I got the disney plus app to work no problem.  So, why wont disney plus operate wirelessly on the ORBI if it has no problem working when wired directly to the satellite RBS50 via ethernet?

Which Disney+ app did you get to work, the Firestick or your new TV's app?

Did you wirelessly try the Disney+ app on your new TV? 

Message 15 of 52
Slothman
Aspirant

Any solutions to this? This also just happened to my system! Started (3) days ago... I am running Firmware Version
V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 which was not recently updated. 

I do not have Disney Circle and no filtering enabled. I even disabled Netgear Armor (which is enabled by default now.)
I did a factory reset, rebooted everything, same issue.

If I plug directly (by cat6 cable) into my cable modem, it connects properly with Disney+.

The issue is when I try to connect through the Orbi. So frustrating! Im beyond my free 90 days of gearhead support.

I saw some 3rd party firmware, which I will consider, but I was wondering if anyone had found a work around for this issue yet...

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 16 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on of the modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

If Disney had been working up to just a few days ago, then this maybe a ISP or Disney service if you hadn't changed anything on the Orbi system. 

@Slothman wrote:

Any solutions to this? This also just happened to my system! Started (3) days ago... I am running Firmware Version
V3.2.16.6_1.4.4 which was not recently updated. 

I do not have Disney Circle and no filtering enabled. I even disabled Netgear Armor (which is enabled by default now.)
I did a factory reset, rebooted everything, same issue.

If I plug directly (by cat6 cable) into my cable modem, it connects properly with Disney+.

The issue is when I try to connect through the Orbi. So frustrating! Im beyond my free 90 days of gearhead support.

I saw some 3rd party firmware, which I will consider, but I was wondering if anyone had found a work around for this issue yet...

Message 17 of 52
Slothman
Aspirant

Well...I figured out a bandaid workaround for this...

I did another factory reset, powered everything off for an hour and still no success.... If I connect directly into my cable modem, I can get through just fine... so I'm thinking... it has to be something ORBI is doing with the data packets.

I took a look for the error codes in the web broswer developer tools, and I see multiple 403 errors when I try to connect to DisneyPlus.... I really don't have the time and energy to figure out what its doing with the data packets... and I'm really not that smart, so I decided to try to bypass ORBI's supreme intelligence by using a VPN. 

I ended up getting the cheapest VPN that I could find... basically 2 bucks a month.. They all say you can cancel within the first 30 days and get a refund, so I thought... I just give it a try. And it worked!

I first tested it on my laptop by using a Chrome extension for the VPN. (I used Surfshark... If you buy using rakuten, they also give you 20% back.) This way I can turn on the VPN and watch and turn it off without it affecting the whole computer. I guess there is really no downside to setting up my laptop to encrypt all traffic over the VPN, but I'm always worried about loosing speed and performance. (By the way, I did run a speed test ... The drop was insignificant for my connection.... It was less than 10 Mbps... I average around 300 Mbps, but I live in an area with fast internet.)

I have an AppleTV+ so in order to user the VPN there are a couple of things you have to do. The VPN service will create a custom DNS to work with your device and IP Address. You log onto their website, and based on your real IP Address, it generates a DNS server for you to direct your traffic to. You point your AppleTV network settings to use a manual DNS server and point it to the custom DNS server and thats it.... 

On my iPhone, I installed the VPN App... I just have to activate it and then launch Disney+ App. It works!

That's my work around for now. When the next firmware update comes out, I'll check to see if this issue has been solved.

Message 18 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Has a power off for 1 minute then back on of the modem and Orbi system been performed since last update?

If Disney had been working up to just a few days ago, then this maybe a ISP or Disney service if you hadn't changed anything on the Orbi system. 

if this was a FW issue, then you should let NG support know about this, otherwise the next FW update may not fix anything if NG isn't aware of this. Needs to be determined where the problem is first. Reason why we ask questions and recommend feedback. 

Good Luck. 

Message 19 of 52
Mikey94025
Hero

@Slothman wrote:

It seems that you have Double NAT (because you can also connect directly to your cable modem).  This might be causing your connection issues with some sites like Disney+.  You can experiment to see if this is the cause by trying one of:

1. Put your Orbi into AP mode instead of Router mode
  2. Put your cable modem into bridge mode and have your Orbi in Router mode.

Message 20 of 52
billasch
Guide

I am having the same problem, I found this thread where NetGear support changed settings and got it to work, but I am completely screwed right now.

Does anyone know how I can fix my Orbi to allow me to see DisneyPlus?  I would hate to have to buy an ENTIRELY new mesh network to solve this...or to pay for a VPN service. sigh*

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Disney-not-working-with-Orbi-Router/...

Message 21 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

@billasch wrote:

I am having the same problem, I found this thread where NetGear support changed settings and got it to work, but I am completely screwed right now.

Does anyone know how I can fix my Orbi to allow me to see DisneyPlus?  I would hate to have to buy an ENTIRELY new mesh network to solve this...or to pay for a VPN service. sigh*

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/Disney-not-working-with-Orbi-Router/...

Message 22 of 52
billasch
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

@billasch wrote:

Firmware: v2.5.2.4
MFR and Model of ISP modem: Xfinity - Technicolor CGM4331COM

Message 23 of 52
FURRYe38
Guru

Is Armor or Circle enabled on your Orbi? 

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended.

What mode is the modem working in? 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@billasch wrote:

Message 24 of 52
billasch
Guide

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is Armor or Circle enabled on your Orbi? 

Your ISP modem already has a built in router and wifi, This would be a double NAT (two router) condition which isn't recommended.

What mode is the modem working in? 

https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
https://kb.netgear.com/30187/How-to-fix-issues-with-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge or modem only mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@billasch wrote:

Nope, No armor and No Circle...no Parental controls
Screenshot 2020-12-19 194902.png

1) The modem is in Bridge mode.
Screenshot 2020-12-19 194727.png
2) It's in Bridge and all the WiFi broadcasts from the Xfinity router are off.

I will read the KB articles, just in case.  It seems clear though, that this is not just me.  Very weird indeed.

Every device in my home that connects to the Orbi has Disney blocked.  I've now checked them all connected via the Orbi
1) 3 Desktops (all with virus scanners disabled...2 run Kaspersky and 1 runs AVG)
2) 2 laptops (1 bitdefender, 1 kaspersky)
3) 2 Samsung S7 phones
4) 2 Google Pixel XLs

But the moment I hit Verizon data...boom...it works great.

Message 25 of 52
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 51 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7