Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Distance Between Router and Satellite - Max?

koolmeme
Tutor

Distance Between Router and Satellite - Max?

I have a house that is much longer (100ft end-to-end) than it is wide.  Wanting to place the Orbi router in the middle with satellites at front and back.  So the question is ... 50ft between router and satellite doable for this Orbi solution?

Probably one wall (each) between the router and its satellites.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
koolmeme
Tutor

Searched few other threads ... found references to 60ft-75ft between router and satellite, including estimates from NETGEAR.  So that should be doable for my requirements. 

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
cue003
Apprentice

You would most likely put the orbi router in the center of your home then the satellites in the center of the the rest of the area. So really only 25-30 feet between satellites and router.

Wall ----satellite----router----satellite---- Wall type of run.
0ft. 25ft. 50ft. 75ft. 100 ft.

Message 2 of 5
koolmeme
Tutor

In my desired setup, the two best locations for satellite placement are close to the front/back walls as I want to leverage the Orbi ethernet ports for some older peripherals.  Those extra ports and the dedicated 5GHz backhaul are my reason for leaning Orbi but ... 

I measured the farthest run in this setup and the router to satellite separation comes in right at 50' ... so is 50' separation doable using the Orbi setup (y/n)?

To clarify, single-story house.  Built 2010.  Walls are not particularly obtrusive to my current Airport Extreme router (circa 2010), which I am looking to replace.

Message 3 of 5
Narkhelek
Aspirant

Distance is a really poor indicator of performance in a wifi environment.  You should go by -dB loss between router and satelite by using any of the phone wifi survey apps or something on your laptop (I use Wifi Analyzer on Android).  I have a narrow wide 2 story house and I setup router and satelite at opposite ends of the house on different floors (fortunately I already had CAT5 ran from where my cable modem is to one end of the house).  This provided the best coverage while also extending reach around my property.

Basically my thought process was to find a locations that was about -60dB between router and satelite. This would provide for excellent backhaul between router and satelite while maximizing coverage.

Message 4 of 5
koolmeme
Tutor

Searched few other threads ... found references to 60ft-75ft between router and satellite, including estimates from NETGEAR.  So that should be doable for my requirements. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7