Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do I have the right equipment?

Gwen626
Aspirant

Do I have the right equipment?

I bought the Orbi 4g LTE LBR20 thinking it could replace my Mediacom router in my home. And we also have a 5th wheel so I thought we could take it on the road when we go on our trips. There's no connection for the cable so I'm assuming I can't use this as a standalone at home. Is there a way to have this connected to the Mediacom modem and use the sim card cellular connection when mediacom fails and when we go on the road. I'm sure it's obvious I'm not an IT person and can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

Re: Do I have the right equipment?

@Gwen626 wrote:

I bought the Orbi 4g LTE LBR20 thinking it could replace my Mediacom router in my home. And we also have a 5th wheel so I thought we could take it on the road when we go on our trips. There's no connection for the cable so I'm assuming I can't use this as a standalone at home. Is there a way to have this connected to the Mediacom modem and use the sim card cellular connection when mediacom fails and when we go on the road. I'm sure it's obvious I'm not an IT person and can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

Correct, you cannot use it as a stand alone router for your Mediacom ISP. they require DOCSIS modems. You can connect it to the DOCSIS modem, in place of your existing WIFI router. If your DOCSIS is a combo, you can plug a cable from a LAN port on the Mediacom router to the WAN port on the LBR20 and follow the Orbi setup instructions.

Message 2 of 4
Gwen626
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

@Gwen626 wrote:

Correct, you cannot use it as a stand alone router for your Mediacom ISP. they require DOCSIS modems. You can connect it to the DOCSIS modem, in place of your existing WIFI router. If your DOCSIS is a combo, you can plug a cable from a LAN port on the Mediacom router to the WAN port on the LBR20 and follow the Orbi setup instructions.

So, I connected it to the Mediacom modem. Then hit the SYNC button, then rebooted it. Now it says the connection is "local".  So I'm assuming it's now working WITH the Mediacom router. I will call Netgear support tomorrow to find out what additional equipment I can use so I can get rid of the Mediacom modem. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Message 3 of 4
Mstrbig
Master

@Gwen626 wrote:

So, I connected it to the Mediacom modem. Then hit the SYNC button, then rebooted it. Now it says the connection is "local".  So I'm assuming it's now working WITH the Mediacom router. I will call Netgear support tomorrow to find out what additional equipment I can use so I can get rid of the Mediacom modem. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

You need to call your ISP for a list of compatible modems you can use with their service, as not all DOCSIS modems may work. Then you can replace the Mediacom router with a DOCSIS modem only version and use the Orbi as it is intended as your router. Netgear has some DOCSIS 3.0 and 3.1 modems. Arris is another common DOCSIS modem, available in 3.0 and 3.1. Not sure what your ISP speed is, but I suggest DOCSIS for anything 500Mbps and up.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7