Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Do I have to manually connect devices to the Satellite after a reboot,or no?

Brads515
Guide

Do I have to manually connect devices to the Satellite after a reboot,or no?

Quick Question -- after doing a reboot, I see that ALL of my devices are on my main router, and none are on my Sattelite.

When I take a device offline (for example, my wifi thermostat which is very close to the Sattelite) and reconnect, it then connects to my Sattelite, rather than the main router.

I suspect the reason all of my devices ALL connect to the main router rather than the Sattelite is because the main router "boots up" quicker than the Sattelite and they "hit" the main router first and stay on it.

Curious if you all have to do a whole manual reconnect to the Sattelite in your homes as well, or if I should just leave it alone / doesnt matter because the Orbi system essentially figures it out / manages this on its own.

Thanks in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Do I have to manually connect devices to the Satellite after a reboot,or no?

Your analysis seems to match the prevailing opinion: the router boots up first, so device "see it" and connect.  Eventually, many of them decide that the satellite connection is enough better to change.  If it is important to you that devices connect "where they should be", then rebooting them probably will cause them to move to the satellite.  On the other hand, are they working?  If so, why not just leave them alone for a while and see what happens?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7