Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Do I need to pay the Spectrum "add In-home WIFI" fee if I'm going to connect their mod

NotTechSavvy23
Follower

Do I need to pay the Spectrum "add In-home WIFI" fee if I'm going to connect their modem to my Orbi?

Looking at switching over to Spectrum Internet and it asks me if I want to add in-home WIFI for a fee of $5 per month.  Do I need to do this in order for my Orbi system to work or would I just be connecting their router to my Orbi system which will send out the wi-fi signal itself (and therefore no need to add Spectrum's wifi service?

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Do I need to pay the Spectrum "add In-home WIFI" fee if I'm going to connect their mod

NO. Just more marketing and money they want from you. 

Check into getting your own ISP modem. NG CM series modems are stand alone and will work well with Orbi systems. Don't pay for rental modems when you can have your own. 

Message 2 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

@NotTechSavvy23 wrote:

Looking at switching over to Spectrum Internet and it asks me if I want to add in-home WIFI for a fee of $5 per month.  Do I need to do this in order for my Orbi system to work or would I just be connecting their router to my Orbi system which will send out the wi-fi signal itself (and therefore no need to add Spectrum's wifi service?

You analysis is correct.  Spectrum provides several types of modems (modem only, modem/phone, modem/router/wifi, etc.)  If you are not subscribing to Spectrum's phone service, you need only a modem, which you can rent from Spectrum or can purchase yourself (on Amazon, for example).  With "approved" DOCSIS 3.1 modems often under $100, the payback can be under one year.  Of course, if your modem malfunctions, then you get to fix it or purchase a replacement.  If their modem malfunctions, they have to fix it.  A huge percentage of customers provide the modem themselves.

Message 3 of 4
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@CrimpOn wrote:

@NotTechSavvy23 wrote:

You analysis is correct.  Spectrum provides several types of modems (modem only, modem/phone, modem/router/wifi, etc.)  If you are not subscribing to Spectrum's phone service, you need only a modem, which you can rent from Spectrum or can purchase yourself (on Amazon, for example).  With "approved" DOCSIS 3.1 modems often under $100, the payback can be under one year.  Of course, if your modem malfunctions, then you get to fix it or purchase a replacement.  If their modem malfunctions, they have to fix it.  A huge percentage of customers provide the modem themselves.

I have to admit this type of flexibility is more attractive than other competing services.  And when it comes to cable, and if money is less of a concern in a matter of speaking, there's even an option to own an Orbi with a built-in cable modem such that a single device can manage home network.  But if I already own my own Orbi, then just leasing or owning the modem is all that's needed.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7