Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do devices connected via ethernet to the same satellite communicate directly

jimmy100
Follower

Do devices connected via ethernet to the same satellite communicate directly

I've replaced a homeplug system with an Orbi wireless setup. All seems to be working well, but I'm curious about something. Previously my media server (ubuntu server running Plex) was directly connected to the router in one room, streaming across the homeplug to the android tv box (nvidia shield) in my living room. streaming 4k content wasn't reliable under these conditions which was one of the reasons I got the Orbi.

With Orbi set up I have moved the media server under the TV and both it and the nvidia shield are connected via ethernet to the Orbi RBS50 satellite unit. My question is - when I stream media is this a fully wired connection through the satellite, or is it going via the router over the wireless backhaul? i.e. media server->RBS50->wireless backhaul->RBR50->wireless backhaul->RBS50->android tv.

Either way it seems to have solved my 4k streaming issues, but I'm not sure if that's because the Orbi backhaul is better than the homeplug network 

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Do devices connected via ethernet to the same satellite communicate directly

If both devices are wired to the Satellite, then streaming and communication between those devices will not go through the Router.

Regarding the Orbi backhaul, it has a bandwidth of 1,7 Gbps ( 2 x 867 Mbps) so it must be much better than a wifi plug repeater.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
ekhalil
Master

Re: Do devices connected via ethernet to the same satellite communicate directly

If both devices are wired to the Satellite, then streaming and communication between those devices will not go through the Router.

Regarding the Orbi backhaul, it has a bandwidth of 1,7 Gbps ( 2 x 867 Mbps) so it must be much better than a wifi plug repeater.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7