Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Do satellites amplify or extend signal?

gibtron9000
Follower

Do satellites amplify or extend signal?

I have an RBK20, which consists of a router (RBR20) and two satellites. I am considering the purchase of an additional satellite for the computer in my home office. This satellite would NOT be hardwired to the Router, but there will be an ethernet cable between the router and the computer. My question is whether this additional satellite will provide any perceptable benefit over simply connecting the computer to the router via wifi.

In essence my question is this: will this setup actually amplify the internet speed in my home office (my goal), or will it merely extend its range (not my goal). Thanks!

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 2
plemans
Guru

Re: Do satellites amplify or extend signal?

Its not a simple answer. 

The benefit to that system is its dedicated backhaul. It uses a 866mpbs backhaul between router/satellites. And it might go router---->satellite----->satellite (daisy chained)

Plus that backhaul could be on channels that are less congested. 

Plus your computers wireless could be sketchy, a 1x1 solution, or even just in a bad location that the satellites help give more coverage for.

So its not just a simple this or that. 

Its more complicated. 

If you have 2 satellites, you could try re-doing your setup to actually test if adding a 3rd benefits your arrangement so you wouldn't have to guess. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7