Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DoS and Reboots

xtract
Aspirant

DoS and Reboots

Hi all,

Need some insight. Something I have never had an issue with before as started to peek with my new Orbi RBK50 system. I am frequently getting logs about DoS attempts, however, the router is rebooting almost every day. I need to know how to mitigate this. I've previously used ASUS routers and never had a problem until now. Here is a copy of the log once it comes up and then shows some attempts, but at some point reboots. All options are default so all security services are enabled currently:

[admin login] from source 192.168.2.4, Friday, May 03, 2019 13:18:07
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.220.61.236, port 8190, Friday, May 03, 2019 11:25:09
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 190.106.206.50, port 443, Friday, May 03, 2019 11:24:26
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.220.61.236, port 8190, Friday, May 03, 2019 11:22:38
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 203.107.43.194, port 1321, Friday, May 03, 2019 11:02:40
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.220.61.236, port 8190, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:54:41
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 17.249.156.78, port 5223, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:53:52
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.220.61.236, port 8190, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:52:11
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 199.167.65.24, port 443, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:51:34
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.220.61.236, port 8190, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:50:55
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.220.61.236, port 8190, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:49:40
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 199.167.65.24, port 443, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:49:34
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 216.220.61.236, port 8190, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:48:25
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 199.167.65.24, port 443, Friday, May 03, 2019 10:47:34
[Time synchronized with NTP server] Friday, May 03, 2019 10:45:44
[Initialized, firmware version: V2.3.1.44] Friday, May 03, 2019 10:45:28

I know I can't stop DoS, but I should not have to be dealing with frequent reboots.

Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
xtract
Aspirant

For sure, I had an RBK20W set before the RBK50. I never had any issues with it and have no doubt that if I had quick access to another set that it would be fine. Also, turns out that Target just let me return the product since it was 90 days within the purchase date. I did not want to ship it the device out at my expense for some amount of time. Rather, all Target had was the RBK20W in stock, so I just went back to that and saved 100 dollars. The RBK50 was truly over kill for my house anyway..I really wanted it for the upscale ethernet bridge over 5ghz 😞   ....can't really find that anywhere else that easy and price. It is for cameras. I ended up putting my 2.4ghz wireless ethernet bridge back in place to feed the camera switch. There just aren't too many systems consumer wise that have the dedcated backhaul. Thank you for your replies.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Contact your ISP and have them change your WAN IP address your Modem/ONT gets. 

Use Domaintools.com to see where those IP addresses are coming from. 

Message 2 of 16
xtract
Aspirant

Router Firmware Version
V2.3.1.44

ZHONE...wait..just reading the rest of your post..this isn't going to help in my situation. I am an IT guy, so I understand how this stuff works..just not why the devices are rebooting when my previous ones were not on the same ISP/modem. I am on fiber 500/500.

When the system reboots, it is pulling a different WAN address (I've checked) simply because it rebooted and, being residential service, I'm not paying for a static address.I've already checked out where those attacks are coming from, but it's not really anything I can use with the Orbi system... I saw the main hits coming from Canada and some from New Jersey USA.

This has happened across mutiple firmwares on this system.

Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you factory reset the RBR and setup from scratch since you updated to v44? Try this. 

Might try upgrading to v60. 

Again, contact your ISP. 

Message 4 of 16
xtract
Aspirant

I believe I tried factory reset and set back up from scratch, but I suppose I can try it again on the newer firmware.

I don't believe calling my ISP is going to help, though (I work closely with this ISP as part of my job since quite a few of our cilents have their business class service). They can't stop people from doing that and it'll happen no matter what ISP you have. The IPs that hit me change..I don't game or anything that would target me. They would just point me to my own equipment since my only issue is that the RBR50 is randomly rebooting during this and if I use another router, it does not happen. I do appreciate your feedback and responses you have provided and I will keep trying to figure something out. I am going to try and remove the dynamic DNS as well as port forwards for any cameras I have setup to see if that helps (but have always had this in my previous systems).

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes with the changes. 

Message 6 of 16
ekhalil
Master

@xtract wrote:

............ I am frequently getting logs about DoS attempts, however, the router is rebooting almost every day.

I doubt that Orbi is rebooting because of the DoS attacks.

Softwre 2.3.1.44 and .48 has issues, please see the following post:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Resolving-RBR-RBS50-dropouts-my-experience/m-p/1745653#M60777

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Any progress on this? 

@xtract wrote:

I believe I tried factory reset and set back up from scratch, but I suppose I can try it again on the newer firmware.

I don't believe calling my ISP is going to help, though (I work closely with this ISP as part of my job since quite a few of our cilents have their business class service). They can't stop people from doing that and it'll happen no matter what ISP you have. The IPs that hit me change..I don't game or anything that would target me. They would just point me to my own equipment since my only issue is that the RBR50 is randomly rebooting during this and if I use another router, it does not happen. I do appreciate your feedback and responses you have provided and I will keep trying to figure something out. I am going to try and remove the dynamic DNS as well as port forwards for any cameras I have setup to see if that helps (but have always had this in my previous systems).

Message 8 of 16
xtract
Aspirant

I upgraded to firmwarwe V2.3.1.60 from V2.3.1.44 and did manually removed/re-added the satellite of my RBK50 system and haven't had a reboot since "[Initialized, firmware version: V2.3.1.60] Friday, May 03, 2019 20:05:49"

I did not do the factory reset and scratch setup yet. Just want to wait out and see if I get more reboots at this point 🙂

Message 9 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, good to hear. Let us know how it goes. Maybe a FR won't be needed. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 16
xtract
Aspirant

Alright yall...Ive had it with the Orbi RBK50. I've now gone through scratch setups and resets and the RBR50 continues to reboot either multiple times in 24 hours, daily, every other day, and if I'm lucky, it'll stay up for three days before it reboots.

Is my choice here to just use Netgear warranty and have it replaced? I had an RBK20W before this set and that never had one issue..I just hate to experience such a bad problem with wireless system that costs so much.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend filing a support ticket here and ask for help and an RMA:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

Possible you just have a bad unit. Not all Orbi's are bad. The RBK50 I have is working just fine. Just returned from being gone for 10 days. Zero issues. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@xtract wrote:

Alright yall...Ive had it with the Orbi RBK50. I've now gone through scratch setups and resets and the RBR50 continues to reboot either multiple times in 24 hours, daily, every other day, and if I'm lucky, it'll stay up for three days before it reboots.

Is my choice here to just use Netgear warranty and have it replaced? I had an RBK20W before this set and that never had one issue..I just hate to experience such a bad problem with wireless system that costs so much.

Message 12 of 16
xtract
Aspirant

Thanks..it's been less than three mounths I've had the RBK50 so I believe that is the best option. I'm a network engineer at work so I'm good on that part. Just used to non consumer products obviously 🙂 I do know this isn't suppose to happen. Satelitte has stayed up since I bought it, haha! well..other than factory resets ive tried to get this thing to stop rebooting (both sides are behind UPS devices)

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible you just have a bad system. The Orbi systems do work. I'm sure the RMA or replacement will fix this. Others enjoy there systems. 

Message 14 of 16
xtract
Aspirant

For sure, I had an RBK20W set before the RBK50. I never had any issues with it and have no doubt that if I had quick access to another set that it would be fine. Also, turns out that Target just let me return the product since it was 90 days within the purchase date. I did not want to ship it the device out at my expense for some amount of time. Rather, all Target had was the RBK20W in stock, so I just went back to that and saved 100 dollars. The RBK50 was truly over kill for my house anyway..I really wanted it for the upscale ethernet bridge over 5ghz 😞   ....can't really find that anywhere else that easy and price. It is for cameras. I ended up putting my 2.4ghz wireless ethernet bridge back in place to feed the camera switch. There just aren't too many systems consumer wise that have the dedcated backhaul. Thank you for your replies.

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements