Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DoS attacks in Orbi log

MachineLearner
Apprentice

DoS attacks in Orbi log

I'm new to Netgear, just installed Orbi system 2 days ago.  Installation was a snap, with all default settings, and getting outstanding performance.   The log is full of DoS attacks, however, ([DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan]) for the full 2 days Orbi has been running.   In 20+ years of using home routers I've never seen anything like this.   I've checked the whois on some of the IP addresses, and some have been on the AbuseIPDB, some from China and Russia, and a few appear to be legit (Apple and Facebook), yet they appear as "[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] " in the log.  Any suggestions?  

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 3
DukeSilver
Star

No need to worry. Your router is doing its job. If you see log entries for unknown remote access then there is an issue.  There are random attacks to all IPs but only netgear firmware reports them.  When I installed tomato on my r7000 or used Asus routers I don't see any syn/ack notifications. Google the errors and you will see.

Hope this helps!

Sergey Naryshkin

Message 2 of 3
MachineLearner
Apprentice

Thank you.  When I google the DoS errors, I often get Netgear community posts like this one.   Seems to be common to Netgear users, which makes sense if Netgear is the only one who reports them.  When I google the specific IP addresses, many of them appear on AbuseIPDB (can't vouch for them, but they seem to collect DoS reports).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7