Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does Ethernet backhaul free up the upper 5Ghz channels as they interfere with my old cordless ph

sg678
Tutor

Does Ethernet backhaul free up the upper 5Ghz channels as they interfere with my old cordless phone

I have a RBK22 from costco. I installed/configured using the default wireless 5Ghz backhaul as an AP. Its working good but I am lot of  interference/static when using my 10 year old cordless phone which I love ( Panasonic Globarange which operates at 5.74 Ghz ). It seems that the higher 5Ghz channels on the Orbi  which run the mesh network Backhaul use the same frequency.

Although not keen, my only option now is to use a hard wired ethernet backhaul. My question..? Does it mean if I use a hard wired backhaul, will it free  up the upper 5Ghz frequencies  so that I will not have the interference with my cordless phone.

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does Ethernet backhaul free up the upper 5Ghz channels as they interfere with my old cordless ph

No.

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@sg678 wrote:

I have a RBK22 from costco. I installed/configured using the default wireless 5Ghz backhaul as an AP. Its working good but I am lot of  interference/static when using my 10 year old cordless phone which I love ( Panasonic Globarange which operates at 5.74 Ghz ).

Since you already own the Orbi, it should be a simple test to connect the satellite and router with an ethernet cord.  They do not have to be widely separated to run a test.  Let them sync over ethernet, and then "see what happens" to your cordless phone.  Who knows, maybe even though the channels are not "free", maybe the Orbi uses them so little (because of the ethernet link) that most of the static goes away?

Message 3 of 10
SeaMonkey80
Apprentice

@sg678 wrote:

Does it mean if I use a hard wired backhaul, will it free  up the upper 5Ghz frequencies  so that I will not have the interference with my cordless phone.

No.  I believe the Orbi is configured so that the wireless backhaul remains on even if you are connected via ethernet backhaul.  Must be a backup for the system.  It might be worthwhile to invest in a new cordless phone.  The newer ones run on higher frequency (6Ghz?) so you are unlikely to get interference in this 2.4GHz/5GHz WiFi flooded world.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 10
sg678
Tutor

Based on the answers so far, it seems that the answer is no.

I see the following post which has steps to disable. Does it mean that this post is invalid.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ethernet-Backhaul-Best-Practices/m-p/1688701#M49638

Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can give that a try. Just know it's not offically supported so if something happens, NG won't support this configuration. "The wireless backhaul is kept ON as a standby link in case your wired backhaul gets broken, so you will have good redundancy in your system by keeping the wireless backhaul on."

Try if you like and let us know if it works for you. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 10
ekhalil
Master

@sg678 wrote:

Based on the answers so far, it seems that the answer is no.

I see the following post which has steps to disable. Does it mean that this post is invalid.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Ethernet-Backhaul-Best-Practices/m-p/1688701#M49638

Please note that disabling Daisy Chain (in the advanced wireless settings) frees up the upper 5Ghz backhaul channels orginated from the satellites, so you will then only have one backhaul network originated from the router on the upper 5GHz band.

To disable the router's backhaul network you need to follow the instructions in the link

You can also choose to just reduce the transmission power of the backhaul channel by following instruction in this link.

Message 7 of 10
sg678
Tutor

@ekhalil  I can confirm that the solution did not work in my case of RBK22. I followed all the steps. In my case the interface for the 5Ghz bachaul is  ath11. I turned off the radio and brought down teh interface. I commited the changes ot the kernel. Observed that the interface comes back up  by itself after a minute or 2 and I see that teh 5Ghz fronthaul  SSID starts to use the higher band 5Ghz frequncy channel ( 157 in my case ).

root@RBR20:~# config show |grep BACK
config show |grep BACK
wl2g_BACKHAUL_AP=ath01
wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP=ath11
root@RBR20:~# ifocnfig
ifocnfig
-ash: ifocnfig: not found
root@RBR20:~# ifconfig ath11
ifconfig ath11
ath11 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 7E:D2:94:46:54:D1
inet6 addr: fe80::7cd2:94ff:fe46:54d1/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

root@RBR20:~# ifconfig ath11 down
ifconfig ath11 down
ifconfig ath11
BROADCAST ALLMULTI MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

ifconfig ath11
inet6 addr: fe80::7cd2:94ff:fe46:54d1/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING ALLMULTI MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1

root@RBR20:~# config show |grep BACK
config show |grep BACK
wl2g_BACKHAUL_AP=ath01
wl5g_BACKHAUL_AP=ath11
root@RBR20:~# config show |grep endis_wla_2nd_radio
config show |grep endis_wla_2nd_radio
endis_wla_2nd_radio=0
root@RBR20:~# config show |grep radio
config show |grep radio
wl_radio=1
endis_wla_radio=1
endis_wla_2nd_radio=0
wla_2nd_radio=1
endis_wl_radio=1
root@RBR20:~#

See my SSID LaughingBuddha is showing up as using 157See my SSID LaughingBuddha is showing up as using 157

Message 8 of 10
TheDarkSide
Guide

So the backhaul channels on the Orbi are in the 5.74 GHz?  This is the same as my Nakamichi Shockwafe speaker system which is why it seems when my satellite is connected there is interference.  Is there a way to change my backhaul channel so that it is not at the upper levels?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Wireless backhaul only runs in the Upper channel band. Seems that some users have not had luck in this area in recent posts. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7