Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does Orbi RBK50 support USB Connected hard drives?

DavidRansier
Follower

Does Orbi RBK50 support USB Connected hard drives?

I have the latest firmware installed (V1.12.0.18). 

I’ve read a lot of conflicting reports, so its confusing. Does the Orbi RBK50 currently support USB connected hard drives, or should I only connect a NAS hard drive?

Thanks,

David R

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 21
captain_phaser
Apprentice

@DavidRansier wrote:

I have the latest firmware installed (V1.12.0.18). 

I’ve read a lot of conflicting reports, so its confusing. Does the Orbi RBK50 currently support USB connected hard drives, or should I only connect a NAS hard drive?

Thanks,

David R

The Orbi's USB functionality was only just enabled 2 weeks ago and it currently only supports USB connected printers.

Message 2 of 21
RickWire
Initiate

I also have been asking when my orbi would support USB connected drives. Do we have any updates as to when this will happen? Running firmware v2.0.0.74.

Message 3 of 21
shawnb2
Initiate

I'd like to know as well. I recently bought this system figuring as any other router in the last few years that I've used I been able to use it with a USB hard drive to use for Time Machine. This has been a question from what I've been reading for a year. What's going on Netgear? How can this not be a top priority for such a popular system? It's bad enough it's onlt 2.0, but at least give us something. I'm using firmware V2.0.0.74.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 21
BobDuke
Apprentice

I did a bit of experimenting as I too read conflicting reports.   

USB thumb drive - worked

USB hard drive - worked

I was able to access (read & write) from Windows 7 and Android devices. 

Drives could be attached to either the router or satellite. 

There may be an issue with the USB port providing adequate power to hard drives.

I did not test with a physically large hard drive,  just smaller, pocket sized units. 

Running 2.1.1.16.

Message 5 of 21
Rapa97
Initiate

But have you been able to access the drive from your PC or Mac for example? How you know the address to access it? Or login info?
Message 6 of 21
Sundreamer
Star

Same here, I would like to connect a usb drive for my sonos system (I did this on my old linksys) How can I do that ?? I don't see any option to do it
Message 7 of 21
overbye
Aspirant

I'm in the same boat, just installed my new Orbi but wondering how to hook up something for time machine to connect to. There are three of us in the house needing to use this. What is an NAS hard drive and how would it work?

Message 8 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

I beleive the USB port is only for printers currently. Something NG is still reviewing or working on I guess.

NAS is a separate device that has from two up to 4 or more drive bays. This unit has built in networking features. Users install hard drives into these units and use this to store there data on. Then connect these devices to there networks and can share out the data using different configurations.

@overbye wrote:

I'm in the same boat, just installed my new Orbi but wondering how to hook up something for time machine to connect to. There are three of us in the house needing to use this. What is an NAS hard drive and how would it work?

Message 9 of 21
Sundreamer
Star

Fat 32 128gb works to put music for sonos
Message 10 of 21
overbye
Aspirant

I wish I knew what that meant

Message 11 of 21
Sundreamer
Star

Mean ntfs may not work but fat 32 will

Can’t understand why they don’t support ntfs
Message 12 of 21
GadgetVirtuoso2
Apprentice

@Sundreamer wrote:
Mean ntfs may not work but fat 32 will

Can’t understand why they don’t support ntfs

Because then they would have to license it from MS, FAT32 is an open standard that requires no licensing. MacOS can't write to an NTFS drive for the same reason without third party software.

Message 13 of 21
Sundreamer
Star

well, you may be right but I had a linksys prior the orbi supporting ntfs and no problem to copy large files from a macbookpro on the network.

Fat 32 is outdated, no support for large files.... is exfat also under lisence ? anyway I may be wrong but my old router was perfectly working with ntfs and I am quite sure that it's not so difficult to offer this features to people in compare to the price of the orbi routers.....

this is my opinion but my linksys was 1 third the price of my orbi's

This sayed, I am really happy with the wifi of obi's that's working like a charm.

let's just add support for exfat or ntfs.... (both like fat 32 are Microsoft isn't it ???)

Message 14 of 21
Andyx
Guide

I have the same problem/question regarding USB file sharing.  It worked great on my WNDR4300 so when I upgraded to the Orbi I was completely shocked to find it did not support the same functionality.  However, I was told it was coming.

I just got off the phone with Orbi support (after an extremely long wait on hold) and was told that file sharing is still not suported. 

I hate to have to downgrade the Orbi, becasue it works well as a wifi router, but I purchased it expecting to have the same file sharing I had on the earlier device.  I don't know how to get Netgear management's attention, but unless the fix this I will never purchase Netgear again.

Message 15 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Does-Orbi-RBK50-support-USB-Connected-hard-drives/m-p/1591935/...

@Andyx wrote:

I have the same problem/question regarding USB file sharing.  It worked great on my WNDR4300 so when I upgraded to the Orbi I was completely shocked to find it did not support the same functionality.  However, I was told it was coming.

I just got off the phone with Orbi support (after an extremely long wait on hold) and was told that file sharing is still not suported. 

I hate to have to downgrade the Orbi, becasue it works well as a wifi router, but I purchased it expecting to have the same file sharing I had on the earlier device.  I don't know how to get Netgear management's attention, but unless the fix this I will never purchase Netgear again.

Message 16 of 21
Sundreamer
Star

Well, for the price you pay you get F...

unfair and absurd

Message 17 of 21
Okipic
Initiate

Hey,

do you know the current status of this question? It seems that in August 18, Netgear was planning to add this possibility to connect a USB-HardDrive to Router or Sattelite. Today I cannot find recent news.

Thank you for your help.

Okipic

Message 18 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

No information. You might contact NG support and ask about this. 

@Okipic wrote:

Hey,

do you know the current status of this question? It seems that in August 18, Netgear was planning to add this possibility to connect a USB-HardDrive to Router or Sattelite. Today I cannot find recent news.

Thank you for your help.

Okipic

Message 19 of 21
Okipic
Initiate

Thank you for your answer. I will do.
Best regards.
Message 20 of 21
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you find out anything. 

@Okipic wrote:
Thank you for your answer. I will do.
Best regards.

Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 14 kudos
  • 12 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7