Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Orbi RBK50 work with IoT 2.4gHz only (Koogeek, Wemo, etc) after Wi-Fi 6 update

DFTopping
Aspirant

Does Orbi RBK50 work with IoT 2.4gHz only (Koogeek, Wemo, etc) after Wi-Fi 6 update

I saw on CNET that Orbi will get an Wi-Fi 6 update later in the summer. After that update, will RBK50 work with IoT 2.4gHz only (Koogeek, Wemo, etc)? I'm thinking of trading my Apple Airports for this system. Thanks!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Does Orbi RBK50 work with IoT 2.4gHz only (Koogeek, Wemo, etc) after Wi-Fi 6 update

@DFTopping wrote:

I saw on CNET that Orbi will get an Wi-Fi 6 update later in the summer. After that update, will RBK50 work with IoT 2.4gHz only (Koogeek, Wemo, etc)? I'm thinking of trading my Apple Airports for this system. Thanks!

This question has two parts.  (1) The "new" Orbi WiFi 6.  That is a new hardware platform, not an "update" to the current platform.  (2) Using 2.4G devices with a mesh platform, such as Netgear Orbi, Google, Linksys, etc. etc.  Most 2.4G IoT devices work perfectly fine with mesh WiFi systems.  A few IoT systems were designed poorly and users have enormous difficulty getting them to work with mesh systems.  My Wemo smart plug set up fine on Orbi, as did TP-Link and Aukey.  Since the fault lies with the IoT device, there is no indication that the new Orbi will do any better with them than any other mesh system.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does Orbi RBK50 work with IoT 2.4gHz only (Koogeek, Wemo, etc) after Wi-Fi 6 update

Orbi is getting it's own WiFi 6 system. Thats the update. Means complete new HW system so a new system set will be forth coming. Current Orbi hardware is limited and doesn't support AX wifi. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Mesh-Wi-Fi-with-Wi-Fi-6-For-The-Gigabit-Internet-Home/m-p...

You should checck out Netgears RAX routers to see if they work for your devices. I presume they should as I believe they are backwards compatible. When Orbi AX arrives then you might check to see of it supports your devices. I presume it will. 

https://www.netgear.com/images/datasheet/networking/wifirouter/RAX40.pdf

WiFi 6 (802.11ax) Dual Band WiFi (AX3000) - 2.4G: 600Mbps, 40/20 MHz 1024/256 QAM - 5G: 2400Mbps, 160/80/40/20 MHz 1024 QAM - Backwards compatible with 802.11a/b/ g/n/ac WiFi

Message 2 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

@DFTopping wrote:

This question has two parts.  (1) The "new" Orbi WiFi 6.  That is a new hardware platform, not an "update" to the current platform.  (2) Using 2.4G devices with a mesh platform, such as Netgear Orbi, Google, Linksys, etc. etc.  Most 2.4G IoT devices work perfectly fine with mesh WiFi systems.  A few IoT systems were designed poorly and users have enormous difficulty getting them to work with mesh systems.  My Wemo smart plug set up fine on Orbi, as did TP-Link and Aukey.  Since the fault lies with the IoT device, there is no indication that the new Orbi will do any better with them than any other mesh system.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7