Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does Orbi have a 'easy' /push-button way to disable automatic FW updates?

Ken2122
Tutor

Does Orbi have a 'easy' /push-button way to disable automatic FW updates?

I looked at both the dashboard and debug settings, I don't see a option to stop  auto updates of FW. I prefer the ability to update FW manually. did a Google search and found a Telnet command that seems to accomplish this?

$ nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0
$ nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0
$ nvram set auto_update=0
$ nvram commit
$ exit

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Ken2122
Tutor

Thanks for all the replies. I now see that unless critical, the firmware updates are manual. It seems Netgear removed the red 'update available' from the Orbi app. Based upon the problems I have seen discussed here on the recent FW, I am not updating diddly-squat, I'l let Netgear push the update to me if/when that time comes.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Ken2122 wrote:

I looked at both the dashboard and debug settings, I don't see a option to stop  auto updates of FW. I prefer the ability to update FW manually. did a Google search and found a Telnet command that seems to accomplish this?

$ nvram set orbi_auto_upgrade=0
$ nvram set auto_check_for_upgrade=0
$ nvram set auto_update=0
$ nvram commit
$ exit

Check out this post.if you're curious. Please share your experience.

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

My answer is, "it depends".  As of firmware 2.3.5.30 (the latest, and perhaps the one immediately before but my memory of that is dim), the Orbi no longer updates firmware automatically.  The Help information on the Firmware Updates page is very clear.  If updated firmware is available, the "Update" option is activated and the user can click it (or not).

The issue exists for users who prefer to remain on a version prior to 2.3.5.30.  That's where the telnet commands come in, as well as doing things like blocking the Netgear update web site with something like Pie-Hole.  I am really happy that the current firmware causes me no problems and I do not face this dilemma.

Message 3 of 6
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Firmware Auto Update (FAU) continues to be a confusing topic.  Based on various discussions/posts/NG moderator, FAU is not supposed to happen for minor FW versions unless...

Christian_R Christian_R NETGEAR Moderator ‎2019-10-08
Re: Auto Update Policy
Hi VAJim, Yes, this is still correct. Hope all is well! Best, Christian

To: Christian_R NETGEAR Moderator
Sent: ‎2019-10-07 02:54 PM
Read: ‎2019-10-07 04:42 PM

Re: Auto Update Policy
@Christian_Rwrote:
Hi VAJim,

Auto updates are still pushed to Orbi units. Small revisions of firmware updates such as 2.3.1.44 to 2.3.1.48 will trigger notifications of a firmware update. Whereas, major revisions such as 2.2.1.210 to 2.3.1.44 will be auto updated.

Regards,

Christian

Hi Christian

Is the NG FW policy still the same as you stated above?

Based on recent feedbacks, FAU is still happening from these versions, v2.3.1.44 & v2.3.1.60, to v2.3.5.30.  So it's safe to assume that v2.3.5.30 is a major FW version, which is being pushed (FAU) by NG.  If you're currently having problem with v2.3.5.30 that can't be quickly resolved, you're likely going to be in a pickle because of FAU.

Disabling FAU is just a short term remedy, but it's not a long term solution for obvious reason.  There are two methods to disable FAU, telnet and hidden UI methods.  If the telnet method doesn't work for you, give the hiddne UI method a shot.

@In5iDi0uZ wrote:

@SW_ wrote:
If auto-updating kept happening via telnet method, factory reset the Orbi and give the hidden UI method a go?

Tried the hidden UI method, was a little confused but figured it out. Checked this morning and it stayed at my old firmware that works. Thanks for your help.

If you decide to take a plunge, please provide feedbacks so it will help others.

Good Luck!

Message 4 of 6
Ken2122
Tutor

Thanks for all the replies. I now see that unless critical, the firmware updates are manual. It seems Netgear removed the red 'update available' from the Orbi app. Based upon the problems I have seen discussed here on the recent FW, I am not updating diddly-squat, I'l let Netgear push the update to me if/when that time comes.

Message 5 of 6
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Ken2122 wrote:

Based upon the problems I have seen discussed here on the recent FW, I am not updating diddly-squat, I'l let Netgear push the update to me if/when that time comes.

Wise decision

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7