Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Orbi require Cloud Management and/or Account

rc_gamer
Aspirant

Does Orbi require Cloud Management and/or Account

Hello,

Does the "NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50)" require cloud management and/or a Netgear account to setup and use?

Google search says No but the Amazon Answered Questions from product owners say Yes.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Ultra-Performance-Whole-System/dp/B01K4CZOBS

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Does Orbi require Cloud Management and/or Account

@rc_gamer wrote:

Does the "NETGEAR Orbi Tri-band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System with 3Gbps Speed (RBK50)" require cloud management and/or a Netgear account to setup and use?

No.  I have two RBR50 Orbi routers.  One is connected to my Netgear forum account.  This is what enables the Orbi "app" to function.

The other was set up using the Orbi web interface.  Works fine.  Has NEVER been associated with a Netgear account.

To use the "app" - Yes.  To use the web interface - No.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8

All Replies
Mstrbig
Master

@rc_gamer wrote:

Hello,

Google search says No but the Amazon Answered Questions from product owners say Yes.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Orbi-Ultra-Performance-Whole-System/dp/B01K4CZOBS

Yes in order to use the app you need to setup an email address and password to setup the router. Not really sure if there is a work around. However I love the fact I can look at my entire home system from work or anywhere for that matter.

Message 2 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@rc_gamer wrote:

No.  I have two RBR50 Orbi routers.  One is connected to my Netgear forum account.  This is what enables the Orbi "app" to function.

The other was set up using the Orbi web interface.  Works fine.  Has NEVER been associated with a Netgear account.

Message 3 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

@rc_gamer wrote:

The Netgear forum account is required to use the app. 

Message 4 of 8
rc_gamer
Aspirant

@Mstrbig wrote:

Yes in order to use the app you need to setup an email address and password to setup the router. Not really sure if there is a work around. However I love the fact I can look at my entire home system from work or anywhere for that matter.

Thanks for the response.

What if I don't care about the app or phone intergration or remote management?

Will the system still work?  Has anyone tried running this system without cloud management?

From ...

https://routersecurity.org/MeshRouters.php

Another trend with mesh router systems is the constant involvement of the hardware vendor in your network. With most of these systems you must establish an account with the hardware vendor and the mesh router phones home with data about your network

and ...

Some mesh routers that require you to establish an account with the vendor are Eero, Google Wifi, Plume, Luma, Amped ALLY and TP-Link Deco. Systems that do not require an account are the Ubiquiti AmpliFi, D-Link Covr, Netgear Orbi and the Linksys Velop. AmpliFi only requires an account for remote admin access to the network. AmpliFi does not have its own accounts, it uses either a Google or Facebook account.

I am just trying to confirm this before sending $$$.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@rc_gamer wrote:

When I first purchased Orbi in 2016, there was no Orbi "app". The only way to set up a new (or reset) Orbi was the web interface.

I much prefer it.  And, my Orbi that has never been associated with a Netgear account works fine.

Message 6 of 8
Mstrbig
Master

@rc_gamer wrote:

Thanks for the response.

What if I don't care about the app or phone intergration or remote management?

Will the system still work?  Has anyone tried running this system without cloud management?

From ...

https://routersecurity.org/MeshRouters.php

Another trend with mesh router systems is the constant involvement of the hardware vendor in your network. With most of these systems you must establish an account with the hardware vendor and the mesh router phones home with data about your network

and ...

Some mesh routers that require you to establish an account with the vendor are Eero, Google Wifi, Plume, Luma, Amped ALLY and TP-Link Deco. Systems that do not require an account are the Ubiquiti AmpliFi, D-Link Covr, Netgear Orbi and the Linksys Velop. AmpliFi only requires an account for remote admin access to the network. AmpliFi does not have its own accounts, it uses either a Google or Facebook account.

I am just trying to confirm this before sending $$$.

@CrimpOn was correct. 

It looks like you can use the Orbi web interface to setup the system. Advanced/Setup Wizard

You won't be able to access the system remotely, which I find to be a great feature.

Message 7 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Mstrbig wrote:

@CrimpOn was correct. 

It looks like you can use the Orbi web interface to setup the system. Advanced/Setup Wizard

You won't be able to access the system remotely, which I find to be a great feature.

There are actually three ways to administer an Orbi remotely:

• The "app", which is convenient, but does not provide access to any of the advanced features.
  • The Orbi web interface "Remote Management", which is on the Advanced Tab, Advanced Setup.
    This opens an https server on the Orbi.  Provides access to the entire web interface, but not to any other resources on the Orbi LAN.
    I quit using it because the Orbi log file would fill up with "invalid login" attempts when hackers finally found the open port.  With my 25 character Orbi password, I calculated it would take them about 4 billion years to crack it, but it was annoying.  Hmmm. Wonder if I could siimply quit logging those attempts?  Will look into that.
  • I administer two Orbi systems remotely using OpenVPN. This gives access to the entire web interface and also to any other computers on the Orbi LAN. If hackers are aware of the OpenVPN port and trying to hack it, the attempts do not show up in the log file.

For ease of setup and convenience, the Orbi "app" Remote Management is best.

(Since I never use the app, for me it's "not so much.")

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7