Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does Orbi support ARP binding so I can wake up an attached NAS via the internet?

arkouda
Tutor

Does Orbi support ARP binding so I can wake up an attached NAS via the internet?

Hi,

I am using the Orbi RBK2200, 1 main unit as router and one satillite. I have a synology DS218+ NAS attached to the orbi router unit via lan cable. DS218+ supports WOL and I can wake it up within my local network using the DS Find app in android phone (wifi connected within the same subnet).

Everything is working fine. But I want to wake up the NAS via the internet say, using a phone.

After searching the web, I come to conclusion the I need to do the following:

1. Static IP for the NAS. It is supported by the Orbi.

2. A DDNS to point to the router. Supported by Orbi.

3. Port forwording port 7/9 (may be 22 as some have suggested). Supported by Orbi.

and finally

4. ARP binding of the static IP in 1 above to the MAC of the NAS.

Point 4 is where I got stuck.

Does Obri support ARP binding? If not, is there a work around so I can somehow tell the orbi to wake up the NAS via my phone from outside my home network?

Is it possible with VPN?

Thanks.

Arkouda

Message 1 of 8
ekhalil
Master

Re: Does Orbi support ARP binding so I can wake up an attached NAS via the internet?

For ARP binding lease try the following. I did not try it on Orbi:

1. Telnet to the router
  2. Enter the command arp -i br0 -s x.x.x.x mm:mm:mm:mm:mm:mm where x is the WOL destination IP address and mm is the WOL destination MAC address
Message 2 of 8
arkouda
Tutor

thx. I will try that.
Message 3 of 8
arkouda
Tutor

still have problem. I established vpn with orbi from my phone. but the subnet is different so I still cannot access the router for configuration of ARP. Any idea how to do it?
Message 4 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@arkouda wrote:
still have problem. I established vpn with orbi from my phone. but the subnet is different so I still cannot access the router for configuration of ARP. Any idea how to do it?

To access telnet on Orbi follow the following steps:

1. Log in to your router on orbilogin.com/debug.htm or  http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm
  2. Enable Telnet
  3. Telnet from your computer using the command: telnet 192.168.1.1 (or use the IP address of your router if not default)
  4. Sign in to the admin account using your Orbi admin password.
  5. Enter the commands as described.
Message 5 of 8
arkouda
Tutor

still couldn't get it working. I can power off the nas through vpn but not power on. guess I am out of luck
Message 6 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@arkouda wrote:
still couldn't get it working. I can power off the nas through vpn but not power on. guess I am out of luck

You need also to do port forwarding on your Orbi router for udp port 9 (and probably 7) towards the IP address of the NAS.

20180324_102432.png

Message 7 of 8
ekhalil
Master

@arkouda Have you tried this? 🙂

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7