Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does Port Forwarding Require a Public IP Address?

KarenPetersenSu
Aspirant

Does Port Forwarding Require a Public IP Address?

I am stuck in a three manufacturer vortex and do not have the technical skills to navigate towards a solution. I am trying to connect a T-Mobile Cell Spot (mobile signal booster) and am receiving error lights indicating that I am not connecting with the Internet TMobile says I need to ensure ports UDP500, UDP4500 and UDP123 are open. Orbi tech support insists that since my ip address is private, port forwarding cannot occur AND that the problem is that my Time Warner/Spectrum dual router/modem is not bridged. Time Warner/Spectrum says many different things: 1) they do not issue public IP addresses because they are not safe 2) my modem IS properly bridged - and they reset it just in case, 3)ip addresses don't change 4)the issue is with ORBI, not them.

I was able to do the set-up for two of the three ports required (UDP500 and UDP 4500) but ORBI said it didn't really go through since I have the private ip address. When I tried to do the port forwarding for UDP123, I got an error message saying that port was already assigned.

Meanwhile, my T-Mobile booster is not connecting to the internet.

HELP!

Message 1 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Re: Does Port Forwarding Require a Public IP Address?

@KarenPetersenSu wrote:

Time Warner/Spectrum says many different things: 1) they do not issue public IP addresses because they are not safe 2) my modem IS properly bridged - and they reset it just in case, 3)ip addresses don't change 4)the issue is with ORBI, not them.

Hello Karen,
Typical ISP nonsense and lies. Public IPv4 addresses are short, so more and more providers do no longer assign public IPv4 addresses to consumer contract Internet connections. Regardless, they insist to offer you a fully working Internet connection. The same ISPs blocked common ports used for remote access (like 80/TCP for a http Web Server, 443/TCP for a https Web Server, plus some more) under the argument they are giving the user more security. However, it's like a phone with a number you can use to place calls, but you can never be called. Call them up and offer them to pay half of the Internet connection bill in the future because they provide you with a half service only. And they simply don't want you to use your Internet connection for providing remote access services - it's part of thier terms and conditions. 

Same ISPs love to sell you a much higher priced business connection which does include a public IP address of course. It's all about IPv4 address shortage, the introduction of IPv6 with DSlite, and simply a rip-off. If oyur Internet connection had a public IPv4 before, and was changed, you have good chances to get a public routeable IPv4 address assigned again. If the contract is newer, good luck. 

@KarenPetersenSu wrote:

Orbi tech support insists that since my ip address is private, port forwarding cannot occur AND that the problem is that my Time Warner/Spectrum dual router/modem is not bridged.

If the Internet/WAN IPv4  address assigned to the Orbi Router (connected to the cable modem, issued and assigned by the cable TV provider) is an RFC6598 - IANA-Reserved IPv4 Prefix for Shared Address Space address (assigned is 100.64.0.0/10) and if my math is right it's in the 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255 range, your ISP does CGN (Carrier Grade NAT), and your Internet connection is worth less than 50%, here is the IANA assignment:

The Shared Address Space address range is 100.64.0.0/10.

In case it's an RFC1918 - Address Allocation for Private Internets address (and there is really no other NAT router in between the cable modem in bridge mode and the Orbi Router)  they are abusing the RFC1918 private address space for provider grade NAT, here are the IANA assignments:

10.0.0.0        -   10.255.255.255  (10/8 prefix)
     172.16.0.0      -   172.31.255.255  (172.16/12 prefix)
     192.168.0.0     -   192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

To answer your subject question:

"Does Port Forwarding Require a Public IP Address?"

Yes.

Regards,
-Kurt.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router.

@KarenPetersenSu wrote:

I am stuck in a three manufacturer vortex and do not have the technical skills to navigate towards a solution. I am trying to connect a T-Mobile Cell Spot (mobile signal booster) and am receiving error lights indicating that I am not connecting with the Internet TMobile says I need to ensure ports UDP500, UDP4500 and UDP123 are open. Orbi tech support insists that since my ip address is private, port forwarding cannot occur AND that the problem is that my Time Warner/Spectrum dual router/modem is not bridged. Time Warner/Spectrum says many different things: 1) they do not issue public IP addresses because they are not safe 2) my modem IS properly bridged - and they reset it just in case, 3)ip addresses don't change 4)the issue is with ORBI, not them.

I was able to do the set-up for two of the three ports required (UDP500 and UDP 4500) but ORBI said it didn't really go through since I have the private ip address. When I tried to do the port forwarding for UDP123, I got an error message saying that port was already assigned.

Meanwhile, my T-Mobile booster is not connecting to the internet.

HELP!

Message 3 of 7
schumaku
Guru

@KarenPetersenSu I'm convinced the Orbi support people are correct - indeed without a public routeable IP address any port forwarding won't help much, as the address can't be reached. Please provide as much more details as possible. Especially on the cable modem, the IP address assigned to your Orbi Router (again assuming there is no other NAT router at your site - neither the cable modem is in NAT routing mode nor there is another router in the data path). 

To the extent I am able to read the OP post I think @FURRYe38 suggestions are already in place, especially the #1

Message 4 of 7
KarenPetersenSu
Aspirant

@schumaku Thank you so much for your interest and advice. I just got off the phone (again) with tech support for my ISP...they said that my address IS public. I asked them to provide the address but they said policy prohibits them from doing so, but I asked if I could confirm with them the results of a google search, "what is my IP address". Google produced a public address that they confirmed. So I think I now need to understand how/why ORBI and an IPCONFIG produces a private isp address: 192.168.0.2? And how to correct. Time Warner/Spectrum doesn't know what to do.

The modem/router from Time Warner/Spectrum (that has been bridged and confirmed now three times) is an UBEE model no DVW32C. ORBI is RBR50

I'm using ORBI as my router (AND IT"S FANTASTIC!!- tried to get good wifi for 10 years and FINALLY found ORBI Best ever.)

I don't know anything about the NAT settings you mentioned. No clue where to find them or how to change them. 

Don't know if it's relevant, but the modem is connected to: a wired computer, Printer, Telephone and I think Direct TV in addition to the ORBI.

Is there other information you need? Thank you again!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 7
KarenPetersenSu
Aspirant

So to spare any unnecessary research by the masters wanted to let you know that I contacted TMobile again to see if there might be a setting on their device that was causing my difficulty. The specialized tech did a "tracer" for me and said he could see that my bridging and ports were fine! Not sure how this could be, but that's what he said. He also said that for some reason, Time Warner/SPectrum has put their device on the "slow path" and they are finding it can take up to three days for a device to update. He could see progress being made by checking the tracer and asked me not to change anything for 48 hours. While I was on the phone with him, the indicator lights improved (internet went from flashing orange to solid green). The status light is solid orange which means "in process" apparently. Neither the 3G or 4G is lit yet.

I'm not sure if I told you that the TMobile device is called a Personal Cell Spot. The Model Number is 9961 home cell v1 and it is branded Alcatel-Lucent and made by Askey Computer Corp.

I will post back in 48 hours or sooner if my TMobile Cell Spot starts working. For now it looks like it is connecting to the internet, which was the problem I wanted to solve here. So thank you again.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 6 of 7
schumaku
Guru

Karen,

I'm more than happy you are not a victim of provider or Carrier Grade NAT (CGN) - a configuration that has not become popular in the North Americas yet.

The thing with the "what is my IP address" is that it will also show a public IP address, even if there is carrier grade NAT in place. The effective assigned IP address on the WAN/Internet interface can be seen on the router (here Orbi) Web UI and the related App only. 

The good thing was you had the right words and information to discuss with your ISP and T-Mobile. Thank you for the clarification and feedback again, very nice!

Regards,

-Kurt

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7