Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does RBS50 have a better contact to the RBK50 as the RBS30?

andy210779
Aspirant

Does RBS50 have a better contact to the RBK50 as the RBS30?

Hello, I am using an Orbi RBK50 set and would like to add another satellite. The ground floor is to be reached from the 2nd upper floor. I have contact with an RBS30, but the connection keeps breaking off. Does the RBS50 satellite have better radio contact to the base router than the RBS30 satellite?
Please for an answer!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does RBS50 have a better contact to the RBK50 as the RBS30?

Move the Satellite a bit closer if the connection seems to stop. You may have the Satellite at extreme distances from the router.

How big is the house you have the system in? Sq foot? 

What is the distanct between the router and Satellite? 

Building materials that the house is made of? 

Message 2 of 8
andy210779
Aspirant

Thanks for reply.

The distance between the router and the new satellite is already very long. At first I thought Orbi was a real mesh system, which means that each satellite is in contact with another satellite. Therefore 2 RBS30 were in use. But when I realized that every satellite must always be in direct contact with the router, my idea was worthless.
Well, I set up the router in the middle of a house. There follows another room. And two floors down, I put the satellite right against the window.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

The distance between my router and Satellite is about 40 feet. Both are at opposited ends of the house and has been working well in this configuration. Satellite is next to a window as well.

I presume you should try placing your two units closer together. 

Message 4 of 8
Ulairi
Luminary

I have the RBS50 (part of the RBK50 kit) and a RBW30 Wall plug satellite.  The RBS50 is AC3000 while the RBW30 is AC 2200. 

I have found that the RBS50 performs much better when positioned in a downstairs room (immediately under the router, upstairs) than the RBW30 did. So yes - I'd say that the RBS50 does maintain a better connection. 

If you're pushing the boundaries (longer distances or challenging wall construction) then I'd go for a RBS50. 

Message 5 of 8
Ulairi
Luminary

I acknowledge your point, but I don't think that the backhaul speed is the only factor here.

The Router admin pages reported that the RBW30 backhaul status was 'poor' in that room.  The RBS50 in the same room reported backhaaul status as 'good'.  Speedtest and signal strength metrics on down-stream devices reported better speeds and signal strength on the RBS50 than the RBW30 could achieve.  

From that, I conclude that the RBS50 establised a 'better connection' with the RBR50 router. Maybe the backhaul speed has something to do with it but its not just speed alone.  Signal strenght was also better. 

To the original poster - I'd go with the RBS50, even though its more expensive.  I'm regreting buying the RBW30. 

Message 6 of 8
andy210779
Aspirant

Thank you all for the lively discussion. I notice the disconnections because I have connected a webcam that also stores continuous recordings in a cloud. And there are sporadic abortions.
I was not always satisfied with Orbi. In the beginning, I had a router that I couldn't access anymore. I also tested other products like Linksys Velop and Asus Lyra. Velop was a disaster. Apart from the catastrophic design of the devices, which requires you to bend a network cable to be fed, the setup didn't work. Lyra, on the other hand, was in the facility without any problems. But you also notice that a lot of bandwidth is not passed on. More than 20-30 Mbit/s are not possible. In addition, the devices must be very close to each other in order to pass on the received signal.

I am now waiting for the delivery of the RBS50 and if this is not enough, I will add three more spots to my parallel Lyra network.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it goes with you get the Orbi in place. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7