Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does adding another satellite improve on speed loss?

Carmona
Aspirant

Does adding another satellite improve on speed loss?

I just installed the RBR40 and 1 Satellite. The Router has brilliant speed and it is located on the second floor at the end of the apartment. The satellite is in the living room and it is where I connect all my console and devices. The speed upstairs is 300Mb but in the living room is around 20Mb.

If I add another satellite, will it improve the speed in the living room because there will be another in the middle to avoid speed loss? 

I know that I can try to place the router in a different place can improve this but it is very hard since I rent the apartment and it is quite a hassle to move the router from the connection point.

Thanks!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does adding another satellite improve on speed loss?

Whats the size of this apt? SqFt. I have a 5000sq ft home and using 1 satellite with my 40 series router. 40 feet distance in between. Wood and dry wall contruction. Great coverate, range and performance.

You can't place satellites too close. 30 feet in between to begin with minumum. 

Message 2 of 4
Carmona
Aspirant

My apartment is around 800 sqft and they are around 35ft apart from each other. I have 1 bedroom and the kitchen in between the routers, could that be it?

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

800sq ft is quite small, the router along could handle this. Yes, remove the satellite in the middle. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7