Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does anyone use Surge Protectors for there Plug In Satellites?

steeve725
Guide

Does anyone use Surge Protectors for there Plug In Satellites?

Hi, Everyone

Just got an orbi RBK33 last week with the 2 plug in satellites. 

Does anyone use surge protectors for there satellites? If so can you give me a few recommendations?

My router is plugged into one already.

Thanks

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

You can. TripLite are good ones. What do you use now for the RBR? 

Message 2 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@steeve725 wrote:

Just got an orbi RBK33 last week with the 2 plug in satellites. 

Does anyone use surge protectors for there satellites? If so can you give me a few recommendations?

My practice is to power every electronic device through a surge protector or UPS..... when possible and convenient.  These satellites come "out of the box" designed to plug into a regular electrical outlet and stand vertical. (at least the US model.  Have not seen what a UK wall-mount satellite looks like.)  In my opinion, it would be a chore to hang a surge protector on the wall to produce the same effect.

Message 3 of 10
steeve725
Guide

For my RBR I use an APC surge arrest. I was thinking of a single outlet surge protector for the satellite, but finding one that isn't very big so I could still use the other outlet if I needed to.

Message 4 of 10
tagteam
Virtuoso

Just another data point, but I have one RBR50 and two Sats with each unit on a separate UPS.

That's probably overkill but then I have never had even one issue with the system.

Message 5 of 10
gr8sho
Virtuoso

@tagteam wrote:

Just another data point, but I have one RBR50 and two Sats with each unit on a separate UPS.

That's probably overkill but then I have never had even one issue with the system.

This,  It would equally make sense to have ISP equipment on UPS as well.  

Unfortunately the VRAD in my neighborhood is defective and whenever a temporary power interruption happens, have to wait 20 minutes for the box to reboot.  Fiber can't get here soon enough.

Message 6 of 10
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

As @FURRYe38  states there are plenty of plug in surge protectors on the market, some single some dual outlet. One thing needed to be remembered is that surge proectors wear out. Without incident they should be replaced every three to five years. If you have occasional black or brown outs, every two years, or sooner depending on frequency of occurrence. Any single major event, replace immediately. Built in surge protectors in other devices (such as UPC) are no exception. Whole home surge protectors probably should be replaced every three years. If a surge protector being used is years old, it probably is doing nothing (that surge protected power strip you bought and put into use five years ago? Probaby useless as protection).

Message 7 of 10
gr8sho
Virtuoso

It's because of this reason I hear ISP support people always ask customer to plug modem/gateway directly into wall outlet.  

Higher quality UPS also provide the added benefit of waveforming of the AC voltage.

Message 8 of 10
Jeremyinsf
Apprentice

I agree.  All my networking and security equipment (including satellites) are on UPS's.

Message 9 of 10
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

It definitely is best if one obtains a surge protector that also has some sort of wave conditioning to help the life of the connected electronics. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7