Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does cable modem need to connect directly to Orbi Router?

todrop
Aspirant

Does cable modem need to connect directly to Orbi Router?

I have my Orbi RBK50 with one satellite setup and working. Right now the router is connected directly to the cable modem and the satellite is connected via wireless backhaul. However, I would like to connect them via ethernet backhaul using a switch as described here: https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

I have a Netgear Unmanaged Switch (GS105NA). I currently only have a single ethernet cable that runs from the cable modem to the router. What I want to know is, do I need to keep a dedicated cable from the modem to the Internet port on the router and then run a second cable from the router back to the switch, or can I just plug everthing (router, satellite, and modem) into the switch?

I'm guessing the modem needs to go straight to the Internet port on the router, but I just want to confirm that before I run a second cable back to the switch.

Thanks

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does cable modem need to connect directly to Orbi Router?

Yes, the cable modem need to be connected directly to the internet port on the RBR. Then you can connect anything to the back of the RBR using the rest of the ports there. You can connect a switch to the back of the RBR then the RBS to this switch. Disable Daisy Chain on the RBR before hand. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does cable modem need to connect directly to Orbi Router?

Yes, the cable modem need to be connected directly to the internet port on the RBR. Then you can connect anything to the back of the RBR using the rest of the ports there. You can connect a switch to the back of the RBR then the RBS to this switch. Disable Daisy Chain on the RBR before hand. 

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7