Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does doing a hard reset on the router wipe the firmware upgrades I have already done?

oiyq2
Follower

Does doing a hard reset on the router wipe the firmware upgrades I have already done?

So I have forgotten my admin password to my RBR50,  and my answers to the security questions aren't working.  I have it written down, but is far away in another country. What I'm left with is doing a hard reset to my router. 

However,  a couple months ago, I upgraded the firmware to the router.....I was at least 10 versions behind.  I had to do some lengthy manual processes to get my router up to speed, before I could use the 'upgrade now' feature.

Furthermore,  the only reason I want to get in to my router right now is to upgrade to the latest firmware.

My question is,  if I do a hard reset/factory reset,  do I lose all the firmware updates I have already done?  If so, I would likely just keep it as is for now.

Thank you in advance!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Does doing a hard reset on the router wipe the firmware upgrades I have already done?

@oiyq2 wrote:

My question is,  if I do a hard reset/factory reset,  do I lose all the firmware updates I have already done?  If so, I would likely just keep it as is for now.

Thank you in advance!

My guess...(ouch)...is that IF you do a factory reset, as the name implies, your Orbi will be set back to the way it was coming out of the box.  The firmware will be whatever version it was shipped with.  From that point NG may push a 'critical' FW update or it may do nothing only to give you the option of performing a manual FW update IF you choose.

IF you feel your only option is to do a factory reset, then my recommendation would be to let the Orbi/NG do its thing.  Wait and see how it performs.  I would NOT going looking for further updates especially then IF the system is working.

Message 2 of 9
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Re: Does doing a hard reset on the router wipe the firmware upgrades I have already done?

A factory reset of the router will keep the same version of firmware.  All customization  of settings will be lost with the reset. So hopefully you saved the configuration or screenshots of setting screens so that you can restore your settings.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@tomschmidt wrote:

A factory reset of the router will keep the same version of firmware.  

Perhaps....but then I would doubt the naming "Factory Reset"

https://kb.netgear.com/31486/How-do-I-reset-my-Orbi-system-to-factory-default-settings

For the OP:  If you do perform the 'Factory' reset let us know how the firmware made out

Message 4 of 9

@Retired_Member wrote:

@oiyq2 wrote:

Thank you in advance!

My guess...(ouch)...is that IF you do a factory reset, as the name implies, your Orbi will be set back to the way it was coming out of the box. 

No. Big time.

Read the manuals and you will see that it means that all of the default settings go back to their Factory default settings or factory configuration.

There really isn't any such thing as "factory settings" when it comes to the firmware version. As boxes come off the production line they emerge with the current firmware. By the time the thing reaches the customer there may have been several new versions.

Stuff like the RBR50 has been around for some time. It will have left the factory with various versions of the firmware.

Message 5 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@michaelkenward wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

@oiyq2 wrote:

Thank you in advance!

My guess...(ouch)...is that IF you do a factory reset, as the name implies, your Orbi will be set back to the way it was coming out of the box. 

No. Big time.

Read the manuals and you will see that it means that all of the default settings go back to their Factory default settings or factory configuration.

There really isn't any such thing as "factory settings" when it comes to the firmware version. As boxes come off the production line they emerge with the current firmware. By the time the thing reaches the customer there may have been several new versions.

Stuff like the RBR50 has been around for some time. It will have left the factory with various versions of the firmware.

OK...big time....I believe ya.

for what its worth....i try and stay away from so-called factory resets.

Message 6 of 9

@Retired_Member wrote:

for what its worth....i try and stay away from so-called factory resets.

Good advice. Resets are for when you have tried everything else.

It is a common suggestion when wifi breaks.

But you can always save the settings before you do it and then roll back if the reset does not fix problems.

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Factory resets only erase users configurations and passwords. Nothing else!!! 

Good troubleshooting step if after a FW upate is applied, and something isn't working, do a reset as last resort. Usually fixes problems. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMw4ePACgc4
https://www.howtogeek.com/434350/how-to-factory-reset-a-router/

@oiyq2 wrote:

So I have forgotten my admin password to my RBR50,  and my answers to the security questions aren't working.  I have it written down, but is far away in another country. What I'm left with is doing a hard reset to my router. 

However,  a couple months ago, I upgraded the firmware to the router.....I was at least 10 versions behind.  I had to do some lengthy manual processes to get my router up to speed, before I could use the 'upgrade now' feature.

Furthermore,  the only reason I want to get in to my router right now is to upgrade to the latest firmware.

Thank you in advance!

Message 8 of 9
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Good troubleshooting step if after a FW upate is applied, and something isn't working, do a reset as last resort. Usually fixes problems. 

wrong again....factory resets are for lost password.....a user shouldn't have to resort to factory resets due to FW updates....wake up

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7