Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does my plug in orbi extend the range off the router or the other satellite?

Jason_tburgess
Aspirant

Does my plug in orbi extend the range off the router or the other satellite?

I bought the orbi plug in to extend the range in my house. Does it extend off the router or the other satellite? Also it lists the devises on each satellite but the signal strength is low on the devices using the plug in satellite! How do I fix this or can I?
Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Does my plug in orbi extend the range off the router or the other satellite?

Depends if you have Daisy Chain enabled or not. If Daisy Chain is disabled, the plug in will connect to the router base. If Daisy Chain is enabled, then the plug in may connect to the satellite.

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

Message 2 of 6
Jason_tburgess
Aspirant

We have about 5000. The router is in the basement with the first satellite on the main floor. So way more than 30 feet! The plug in is on the 3rd floor in the master again more than 30 feet. All my devices with the exception of the tv in the basement and the tv on the main floor are connected to the first satellite. Nothing is connected to the plug in in the bedroom except my wifes cell phone! I cant figure out why the master tv and google mini and any other devices wouldn’t be pulling off the plug in to have a stronger faster signal.
Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version are you using on the Orbi router?

Try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually. So take the check mark out of the box next to Daisy Chain. Apply the setting and reboot the router and then power off all satellites for 1 minute. Power ON the first satellite nearest the router first and let it come to ready. Then power ON the plug and let it come to ready. Might check the satellite 1 to see whats connected to it. Hopefullly you might see the plug connected to it instead of the router. 

Some devices may just connect to the satellite and not the plug be too close to the plug. 

Message 4 of 6
ekhalil
Master

@Jason_tburgess wrote:
We have about 5000. The router is in the basement with the first satellite on the main floor. So way more than 30 feet! The plug in is on the 3rd floor in the master again more than 30 feet. All my devices with the exception of the tv in the basement and the tv on the main floor are connected to the first satellite. Nothing is connected to the plug in in the bedroom except my wifes cell phone! I cant figure out why the master tv and google mini and any other devices wouldn’t be pulling off the plug in to have a stronger faster signal.
  • Please make a wifi scan while your are in the vicinity of the Plug-in Satellite:
    • See that thePlug-in Satellite is broadcasting 2.4 and 5 GHz band networks.
    • Please also the relative power received from those networks compared to that received from the other satellites.
    • Are there other networks using the same channels as the ones broadcasted by the satellite and note the relative power of those.
  • What type of devices are those that prefer to connect to the remote satellite over the close Plug-in Satellite? Please also note to which band do the devices connect to in the remote satellite.
  • Is there an overlap of the radio range between the satellites in your setup? Overlap between the satellites facilitate roaming between them.
  • When you switch of the device and switch it on when you'r on the vicinity of the Plug-in Satellite, will it also connect to the remote satellite/router?
  • There are some devices that always stick to the satellite that they connect to the first time, but newer devices will then switch to the AP with better signal.
Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if any of the suggestions help...

@Jason_tburgess wrote:

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7