Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does orbit work with cable modem that also needs a coaxial cable output?

mkassis
Aspirant

Does orbit work with cable modem that also needs a coaxial cable output?

I am looking at buying an Orbi system, and I am trying to figure out if it replaces the cable modem or attached to that system.  We have a need for coaxial that feeds 3 tvs in the house.  If it connects to the Cable systems and then boost that signal than I think I can use it, but if it is meant to replace that system then I don't think it will work.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
nicholb
Luminary

Re: Does orbit work with cable modem that also needs a coaxial cable output?

You still need a modem. The Orbi is a WiFi router. If what you have is just a modem, the Orbi router will plug right into it. If not, then it is either a modem/router, or and modem/router/WiFi. In that case you'll do one of these. 

1. Set the cable modem to "bridge mode" and disable any WiFi. This disables all the router functions of the cable modem/router and lets the Orbi be the router. This is what I would choose. Then you only have the Orbi to manage. 

2. If you want to leave the cable modem/router as your main router disable the WiFi on it (if it has WiFi), and set the Orbi in "AP mode". This lets the cable modem be the router and the Orbi just be a WiFi access point.  You would choose this if you think the router and firewall functions of your cable modem/router are better then the Orbi's.

Message 2 of 4
mkassis
Aspirant

Thanks.  That answers the key question on if it will work.  Hopefully I can figure out one of your two tips. I am not very technical, but usually I can muddle through.

Message 3 of 4
nicholb
Luminary

If you can't find the settings when you are installing, post the brand and model of the cable modem and I am sure someone can help.  Make sure you know the account and password to get into your cable modem setting.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7