Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Does the Orbi Mini Router RBR40 offer a 2.4GHz option

growathome
Aspirant

Does the Orbi Mini Router RBR40 offer a 2.4GHz option

Does the Orbi Mini Router RBR40 support 2.4GHz? I'm trying to connect a Wyze Pan Cam to multiple devices that are all running on my Orbi router. The camera requires 2.4Ghz and won't run on 5Ghz, but none of my devices seem able to find a 2.4GHz connection on this router. Do I have to link a different router to the Orbi in order to support the camera? And if so, will this interfere with using the 5GHz connection on everything else I use?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

@growathome wrote:

Does the Orbi Mini Router RBR40 support 2.4GHz? I'm trying to connect a Wyze Pan Cam to multiple devices that are all running on my Orbi router. The camera requires 2.4Ghz and won't run on 5Ghz, but none of my devices seem able to find a 2.4GHz connection on this router.

According to the Wyze Pan Cam setup guide, the customer enters the WiFi name and password into the app, which creates a QR code that is shown to the camera.  (This is very common with security cameras.  It avoids two things: (1) the need for any kind of input capability on the device, and (2) the need for the camera to broadcast its own WiFi SSID temporarily during setup like some smart plugs do.)

Setup Guide: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022501071-Wyze-Cam-Setup-Guide

So, the Wyze camera should connect to the Orbi.  And, it will connect at 2.4G because that is the only radio it has.  Communication between the control device (iPhone or Android) and the camera might be through the Wyze cloud service.

Each device connects to Orbi based on what it is capable of and how good the signal is.  Most modern devices support 5G, so it is not surprising that they would prefer to connect at 5G.  When the setup is completed, a look at the Orbi "Attached Devices" should show the camera connected at 2.4G.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Orbi does operate on both 2.4 and 5 GHz concurrently, using the very same network name. The problem is not Orbi, the problem is the junk discovery software coming with some IoT stuff. You can temporarily disable 5 GHz you your mobile device used to configure the camera will have to connect to 2.4 GHz:

Advanced > Advanced Setup > Options to enable/disable 2.4 and 5 GHz

Dot't forget to re-enable again when finished.

Message 2 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@growathome wrote:

Does the Orbi Mini Router RBR40 support 2.4GHz? I'm trying to connect a Wyze Pan Cam to multiple devices that are all running on my Orbi router. The camera requires 2.4Ghz and won't run on 5Ghz, but none of my devices seem able to find a 2.4GHz connection on this router.

According to the Wyze Pan Cam setup guide, the customer enters the WiFi name and password into the app, which creates a QR code that is shown to the camera.  (This is very common with security cameras.  It avoids two things: (1) the need for any kind of input capability on the device, and (2) the need for the camera to broadcast its own WiFi SSID temporarily during setup like some smart plugs do.)

Setup Guide: https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022501071-Wyze-Cam-Setup-Guide

So, the Wyze camera should connect to the Orbi.  And, it will connect at 2.4G because that is the only radio it has.  Communication between the control device (iPhone or Android) and the camera might be through the Wyze cloud service.

Each device connects to Orbi based on what it is capable of and how good the signal is.  Most modern devices support 5G, so it is not surprising that they would prefer to connect at 5G.  When the setup is completed, a look at the Orbi "Attached Devices" should show the camera connected at 2.4G.

Message 3 of 9
growathome
Aspirant

Thank you for your fast response! That makes total sense. However, I can't seem to find those setting options on my iPad, my Galaxy S10 or my desktop PC.  Uggh...I've seen that exact path on other tablets, but not the ones I want to connect to this camera with. I'll keep researching though. Thanks again. Gives me hope, but I also don't want to spend my entire day on this stupid project. lol. May opt for a different camera.

Message 4 of 9
growathome
Aspirant

Oh! Well, I hadn't gotten far enough for the QR code to be generated because I was hung up on figuring out how to find the darned 2.4GHz info. OK cool. Got my phone to connect, now I'll try the others. Thank you. 🙂

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

We're talking of changing the Orbi config ... most mobiles or tablets don't allow to select just a specific radio/band.

Message 6 of 9
growathome
Aspirant

I'm connected now on my phone and iPad. I'd like to be able to view from my PC as well though, so I'm hoping to make that work. I don't want to have to need multiple screens up all the time to view activity on my camera...I want it visible on my computer while I'm working. I work from home.

Message 7 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

@growathome wrote:

I'm connected now on my phone and iPad. I'd like to be able to view from my PC as well though, so I'm hoping to make that work.

According to this link, Wyze does not have a Windows app, but apparently "Tiny Cam" is a workaround.

https://forums.wyzecam.com/t/wyze-cam-microsoft-windows-app/3999/34

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

You need to use a PC and web browser to make those configurations changes. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7