Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Does the RBK50 Orbi Router increase WiFi speeds beyond the listed speed of an ISP?

MightyFunkster
Follower

Does the RBK50 Orbi Router increase WiFi speeds beyond the listed speed of an ISP?

So last year I bought an RBK50 Router and Satellite. I am now in a new flat and considering a new ISP. I was wondering, say if I get a cheap ISP that has an average speed of 10Mb, will using an Orbi Router increase the speed beyond 10Mb or is it more that'll it ensure that I get the highest speeds that my ISP can offer all across the home?

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Does the RBK50 Orbi Router increase WiFi speeds beyond the listed speed of an ISP?

@MightyFunkster wrote:

So last year I bought an RBK50 Router and Satellite. I am now in a new flat and considering a new ISP. I was wondering, say if I get a cheap ISP that has an average speed of 10Mb, will using an Orbi Router increase the speed beyond 10Mb or is it more that'll it ensure that I get the highest speeds that my ISP can offer all across the home?

Maximum throughput within the home will be 10mb.  Speed is different than throughput.

Imagine that a city has streets 10 lanes wide, able to allow cars to drive at 100mph from one place to another.

But the highway to other towns is only one lane wide and cars can drive only 10mph on the highway.

When cars arrive at the city, they can zip to any location at 100mph, but there is a significant gap between cars as those city streets wait for the next cars to arrive.

If there are needs to communicate between devices within the house, they higher WiFi speeds are a benefit.  For example, TV's trying to stream video from a media server will benefit from higher WiFi speed.  In terms of internet traffic, a packet of information will take longer to arrive from the internet and then will get transmitted to a WiFi destination very quickly, and the WiFi channel will be idle while waiting for the next packet to arrive completely.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7